Family Bonding

Jason was the last to arrive at the Bat-meeting, and the most dishevelled. His hair was unkempt and blood was stained across his uniform. No one asked where he had been, and he didn't feel inclined to tell them that he'd just been on a hunting spree to let off some steam. Joker was going to be a while before his team were up and running again.

"I've called you here to tell you I'm going to be de-prioritising the hunt for Dick," He cut everyone's out roar off as he continued, "I will still be watching but after 2 months, and no leads, it's probably best to try and continue with our everyday lives."

"2 months?" Jason couldn't be silenced that time, "Bruce, I've been where he is. I was with Joker for a year before he finally killed me. Did you give up after two months then as well? Do we all really mean so little to you?"

"Jason, calm down," Steph hissed, "It's not like we're giving up."

"If you feel so distraught about my choice, then you continue to search full time," Bruce said, "I never said you couldn't. I just thought it polite to tell you I'm stepping down my efforts."

"Alfred told you to tell us," Damian cut in and Bruce sent him a glare before continuing, "All my research is available to all of you, as always. And if you find something and need my assistance, I will be there. And I know what he means to everyone here, some of you more than others, I am not giving up."

Jason kept his comment to himself as he pushed back his chair and headed out of the cave and up into the mansion. There were no reporters anymore, the story had gone cold, been replaced by the normal going-ons in Gotham once again. In fact, Jason's earlier massacre was the top headline this morning.

"Jay-" He didn't turn around at Steph's voice, "Jason," He didn't stop when she tried to get in front of him, "Listen to me," He put his helmet on as he started up his bike, "I know about you and Dick being together."

He froze.

"How did you-"

"It was obvious, to me anyway, considering I used to crash at Dick's after a long day at college," She said, "And for the record, I knew he was a bottom."

"Only bottom's call other people bottom's," Jason smirked.

"Anyway, that's not what I'm here about," She brought the conversation back on topic, "As traumatising as walking in on that was. I just want you to know we're all going to keep looking for him, but stepping back for a bit and looking again with fresh eyes just might help us find the link we need. And if you need anything, and I mean anything, I'm only a call away."

"Thank you, Steph," He smiled down at the girl, "I mean it."

"And quick note, wash the blood off before it stains."

------------

Dick was woken by the sound of the door opening and looked over to see Slade coming in.

"How do you feel about starting to train again?" He asked.

"I can't keep fighting crime like he made me," Dick said, "I can't let him have his plan and let them run free again and again and again."

"Then let me teach you some new tricks, some lethal ones," Slade said, "I can show you how to really deal justice."

"Jason taught me some," Dick admitted, "I'd always told him it was wrong to kill, maybe he had seen past that part of the lie but hadn't managed to put it all together. Maybe we can still save him too."

"Do you really think that? After everything he's done to you?"

Dick didn't want to say no, so he didn't say anything. He could hope, he could imagine that Jason was on his side. But he'd seen the truth, he'd been on the receiving end of the truth. Slade took his silence for his answer.