Weak...? (Infinite x Reader)

(The pronouns in this oneshot will be they/them cause your oc in Forces can be both a male or a female!!! ^-^)

The war between Eggman and the Resistance was getting harder and harder for the Resistance: countless soldiers kept dying and nobody knew who was going to win. Every life cut short too soon was a big loss for everyone at the Resistance and the uncertain future kept troubling every single soul. 

Y/N, the most promising young member of the Resistance, kept fighting without fear every single enemy that was an obstacle for them. The other members called them rookie, but deep down they all knew how strong they were: in fact Y/N was given the most difficult missions and even the ones that were pretty risky. 
They had to face the most powerful enemy, Infinite, more than once, and everytime they fought there was no chance of knowing who would've won. 
However, Y/N surely noticed the change of pace and language of Infinite everytime they encountered: was it a strategy to keep them distracted?

One day, Y/N was suddently woken up by Knuckles, who told them to immediately run to Capital City, since the troops who had been sent there had been suffering a lot of losses and they had to retire as soon as possible.
Y/N, brave and ready for everything, wasn't scared by all those losses, they weren't scared they might've died too, they just wanted to protect their people and the Resistance, so they got up, got their Wispon ready and ran as fast as possible to Capital City, knowing they might never come back.
Suddently, they realized that a lot of illusions were all over the place, and Knuckles warned them that all they were seeing that seemed completely out of place wasn't actually there! Y/N didn't have to worry about those virtual enemies, they had to beat everyone's insanity.
Y/N started battling every single robot that got in their way, these sure were real after all, with their agility and strengh they got past them all and then...
While jumping to another place infested by robots, they saw Infinite, who was going right the same way, and their eyes locked in that fleeting moment. 
They sure looked at each other during fights, but that was different...
Once back on their feet, Y/N was ready to destroy those damned robots again and run as fast as possible to save as many people who remained terrified by illusions and couldn't move anymore. 
Y/N was prepared to fight Infinite once more, they were sure they had to face him again...

.*.*.INFINITE'S POV.*.*.
How brave is that person? I can't believe just how strong they are... All of these soldiers, weak, scared; they're true cowards! But that one person just won't let anyone get in their way... I have fought them before and they seem to not even care about their wounds. 
I, myself, am not weak... I'm not weak... and I won't let this person surpass me. Could I... could I feel some kind of admiration towards them?
Impossible. The only one I can truly admire is myself, because I'm the only one who's not weak...!
I should stop thinking about all of this and just go back to my plan. I shouldn't even think that someone could surpass me, I'm literally the strongest being ever existed and I can't... I can't feel admiration... or more... towards someone; right?

.*.*.Y/N'S POV.*.*.
Well, that Infinite guy just won't let me win that easily. Honestly, I really admire his determination; maybe his goals aren't that clever or useful but he really wants to pursue them and I absolutely admire that.
But why does he feel weak? He's extremely powerful. I'm sure I'll face him again very soon and I know it's gonna be a pain, but it's fun to face someone who's at my level. 
Inferiority complexes sure are a bad thing, he's probably faced some very difficult situations at some point in his life, and he probably just can't forget those: I kinda feel sorry for him, and I really wish I could help, after all, everyone deserves a second chance, and I'm sure that, deep down, nobody's completely evil...!
Well, enough with the dramatic internal monologue, I gotta run and kick his butt!

.*.*.NOBODY'S POV.*.*.
Y/N started running again, fearless, knowing that they would've faced Infinite again really soon. The Resistance and the entire world's future was on their shoulders... they couldn't give up just yet, even with all the wounds and the tiredness. 

"...And so we meet again. Prepare to face your fate."
Y/N turned their back and saw Infinite waiting to fight. They were prepared and determined they would beat him once for all. 
Y/N extracted their Wispon and stood in position.
"I underestimated just how desperately the feeble cling to life... You've seen what I've done to your troops and yet, you still won't give up."
"Sure I won't, I'm doing this for the future of the world. I'm their light of hope!"
Only silence was in the air, none of you wanted to start fighting for some reason.

.*.*.INFINITE'S POV.*.*.
I don't even know what's happening to me, but I just don't want to fight this creature. They're not as weak as the others.
But am I the weak one at this point? Am I being pitiful or am I just admiring someone? Either way, I am disappointed by myself. This sure makes me weak... but I'm not weak...
ARGH! I should just fight and destroy those imbecils' so called light of hope!
This person's enthusiasm, their will to live and to fight for other people's lives... Even though this person is clearly suffering and is absolutely tired by all this chaos, they won't stop fighting for their ideals and for what they think is right. That's not what I call weak... that's what I call extremely powerful.

.*.*.NOBODY'S POV.*.*.
Infinite got nearer to Y/N and removed his mask, revealing his true face he never wanted to show anyone again.
Y/N was extremely confused.
"I will not fight anymore. You have showed me what being powerful truly means. Being evil and causing destruction to show I'm not weak... is that right?"
"Infinite, I'm not sure what you can do at this point, after all the chaos you've caused... but I truly think that anybody deserves a second chance. Everyone can better themselves and become a new person."
"I can be reborn... again. But this makes me one of the weaker... one of those who have their minds destroyed and dominated by instincts and emotions they cannot control."
"No! Emotions don't make you weak, they make you stronger, because they let you take decision in a more ethical way that is not controlled by the thirst of power."
Infinite stopped for a second and thought about what Y/N just said. He thought about everything he felt towards them and looked at them deep in the eyes. He knew they were right deep down, but couldn't admit it: he still felt weak for being stopped by his emotions. 
A tear fell from Infinite's wounded eye, a tear that probably meant regret and guilt from all his actions. He kept thinking that meant he was extremely weak, maybe weaker than before his rebirth.
But Y/N cupped his cheeks with their hands and wiped his tear.
"You're not wrong nor weak. You're just wounded, deep inside. I know by your behaviour that you have suffered a lot through your life and everyone faces their problems in a different way. I will not judge you for who you were, I will stay with you for who you'll be from now on."
Infinite widened his eyes and saw what the rest of the world saw: the light of hope.

Y/N hugged Infinite tightly and pressed their lips on his. Infinite had never received that kind of affection and he was suddently overwhelmed by a million of new emotions he had never felt before.
That day, he was reborn. That time, as a better and happy person.

A/N: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA this took kinda long to write but I loved writing this tbh QwQ
I really really love sonic forces as you already know and i HAD to write this as the first fanfic of the year hehe uwu
happy 2020!!!!!!! ^w^