Chapter 16: U.A Sports Festival- Race

The time had come. The crowd hollered and shouted joyfully, unable to contain their excitement. Every year was similar to this, yet also different. It was guaranteed to be a worthy even to watch, but those that it showcased always appeared to bring a kind of innate giddiness unlike those previous.

Usually the majority of the public would hone in on the 3rd year's competition, due to it providing one last chance for those students to set themselves apart from the crowd. However today was a welcomed diversion in that trend. This was in itself likely due to Endeavor, the #2 hero in Japan, whose son is currently in class 1-A. Now, everyone's attention was on the 1st year's, a perfect opportunity for one Hitoshi Shinso to make himself known.

"Welcome everyone to the U.A Sports Festival!" The commentator for the event, pro hero Present Mic, exclaimed. "The huge Battle where fledgling heroes sharpen their swords once a year!" They went on to introduce each of the courses, beginning with the hero course. In Shinso's opinion, Present Mic exaggerated extremely when referring to how they had 'bravely and single handedly fought off a group of villains' during the attack on the U.S.J facility a couple months prior. 

He wasn't stupid; he had heard all-too-well of the rumours that his sensei was involved in protecting the students. In fact, when he questioned him on the matter, Nozomu only confirmed that, affirming that it was he who took on the 'Nomu', killing it. So to hear such a wild claim from the announcer was mildly irritating to say the least.

Upon amassing around the central platform, they were silenced by another hero: Midnight, who was (surprisingly) chosen to be the umpire for the event.

"Before we begin, a pledge from the student who scored second-highest on the entrance exams: Katsuki Bakugou!" Said student made their way up onto the stage. Silence followed.

"I pledge… that I'll be number one."

This was immediately retorted by angry shouts and boos erupting from both the crowd and fellow students alike. "Someone as cocky as that, in the hero course?!" Many thought, shocked at such a display of arrogance from the hero-in-training. It almost made Hitoshi regret his goal to be among them, until he noticed the embarrassed expressions of the rest of 1-A. Surely that meant they weren't all like that?

After the masses calmed down, Midnight resumed her explanation of the day's events, revealing via a large roulette wheel that the first event was to be a race of all things. Most were confused at this, but regardless they made their way to the starting area.

A ruby frame decorated the grand entrance. Upon it held three viridian orbs that would indicate the competition's beginning. The stadium, that had once filled with abundant chatter, died down into anxious murmurs.

The first light turned off. Then the second. Finally the third extinguished which was paralleled by a scream from the tannoy as students rushed forward into the tunnel.

"Start!"

Shinso, like many others, bolted into the cramped tunnel, only to realise his mistake as he was now stuck wedged between at least 3 others. However, thanks to Sensei's training, he felt the air suddenly get cooler. It was slight, but he knew what was going to happen. Shinso quickly brainwashed the people in his immediate vicinity, jumping atop them and began advancing toward the front of the crowd using others as stepping stones. His suspicions were confirmed by a loud noise, mist disguising the fact that now the floor and connecting walls were now frozen solid, trapping a majority of the other students.

This didn't stop all of them. A small number of the contestants, including Shinso, had likewise maneuvered their way past the ice created by one Shoto Todoroki, a student that got in through by recommendation, as later pointed out by Present Mic. The path ahead was also frozen in the same manner, leading to many merely slipping over if they ever touched the ground, preventing most competitors from moving in any kind of swiftness.