Chapter 29: Establishment

It should have been an ordinary day. 

Melissa would get up, get dressed, eat breakfast and with a cheery "Good luck!" from her father she would head out to the Hero Support school on her home of I-island. Sure it was nothing like U.A, but Haiteku (the name of said academy) had its charms. 

It was the apex of technological development in the hero world. Many of the greatest minds had made themselves known thanks in part due to Haiteku's distinct approach to teaching. Whereas similar support courses would simply let their students create whatever they like so long as it is beneficial to their respective hero courses, Haiteku was different. For the first year of study, the students were taught on all the most recent advances in tech and how each one was accomplished, from the specific mechanisms at play to the thought process its creator used to bring their ideas into fruition.

Then following that, their time would be spent attempting to improve the designs to perfection, at which point they would be patented and mass produced for the betterment of humanity. This happened rarely however, simply due to the fact that the concepts were already perfected as it was, making said improvements incredibly difficult to accomplish, not to mention the high standard of quality that Haiteku had maintained since its founding. This did not stop its rapid rise in popularity, if anything, it may have bolstered it. Such dedication to a singular part of the hero industry (only being rivalled by the hero courses which of course dwarfed it) was admirable. In fact, to a fair few of the population of not only I-island but the rest of Japan, it was U.A for them.

This is why it came as a major surprise when the quirkless laws were emboldened. 

It was an ordinary day at first.

As an eager 2nd year, she immediately got to work upon entering the labs, grabbing an assortment of materials and chemicals and relocating them to her work desk. She then pulled out a blueprint from her satchel, unraveling the crumpled, worn paper and inspecting it for what was likely the ninth time that week. You see, since she became able to work on her own projects, so long as they were rooted in an existing patent, she had come across a particular design that had fascinated her to no end. It was simple in principle: a weather machine that could alter the very contents of the air itself, creating unique weather conditions. The given example was that if someone wanted it to rain orange juice, then this machine would theoretically be able to do so. The possibilities were endless! She even found that it was possible to change the acidity of the weather making such trivial things like acidic hail a reality.

Suddenly, at around 4th period, a tannoy sounded throughout the halls. "Could all students please assemble outside the Macro entrance. That's all students to assemble outside the Macro entrance, thank you," the receptionist beckoned. Melissa appeared confused at the strange message. Macro was the name given to the central building in Haiteku High. "Why are we being called there? That never happens," she questioned, mumbling out loud. Concluding that whatever it was, it must be important, she immediately followed the rest of the student body towards the meeting point.

If only she had stuck around a few more seconds to hear the nearby radio crackle to  life. 

It was an ordinary day, until it wasn't .

The reason was swift, unexpected even. It took a few minutes for her to comprehend what exactly had just been uttered out of the principal's mouth. From that day, she was no longer welcome as a student, as were her other quirkless classmates. Apparently it had come from the higher-ups and the decision was out of the school's control, or so the principal claimed; either way it did not matter to Melissa. Either way, she was finished. Her only chance at her dreams was crushed and that was the end of it. No room for objection, criticism or remonstration.