Chapter 21: Gratification

It happened so fast, hardly anyone could register exactly how, only it's result. Bakugou, forgoing any plan, aimed a punch at Shinso, triggering the latter to recall that which could secure his triumph.

"Kid, when you inevitably end up battling against Kacchan, there is one thing you should know: he always goes for a right hook in a pinch, it's his trademark move. Use it against him. It's a powerful attack sure, yet it can be used to expose his greatest weakness. But only if you time it right. Too early, and he'll likely predict what you're going to do, however, too late and well, you know what'll happen. He will underestimate you. Remember that."

His mentor's words echoed in his mind. Shinso realised now what he should do. As Bakugou's fist became mere inches from striking him, he grabbed their hand, ignoring the blistering pain assaulting his own palms. Then, utilising the forward momentum the pomeranian's eager attack, Shinso threw Bakugou over the top of him and slammed the student directly into the concrete. The severe force exhibited had knocked him out cold.

Stunned silence echoed as those watching paused to comprehend what happened. In one swift counter, Shinso had taken out who was arguably the best the Hero Course had to offer. Just like that. The aforementioned victor looked around, unsure himself if what he was seeing was that of a figment or reality. The audience exploded into a chorus of praise and joyful yells, releasing pent-up excitement and mild shock. Even some of the teachers in attendance began to join in, amazed by the turn of events. It was for sure now that this was the most intense match the Sports Festival had bore witness to in some time.

After the initial celebration died down, the top three were called back to the stadium once again for the award ceremony, delivered by none other than- "ALL MIGHT!!!" The crowd cheered. Said hero made his grand entrance, landing just in front of the podium, promptly starting to hand out the medals. 

Third place was Momo Yaoyorozu, due to Tenya Iida being excused for a family emergency. Notably, her smile seemed less duplicitous than before; it no longer had such a disgusted undertone, albeit still present. Second place was the (now conscious) Katsuki Bakugou who, juxtaposing his usual character, was somewhat calm. He appeared to finally recognise skill other than his own, directed of course to he that beat him. In first place was Hitoshi Shinso; it was unsurprising at this point that he received the most applause. This student, prior unheard of thanks to being in General Studies, had proven that despite all of that, he was more than worthy.

And so with a final 'Plus Ultra!' by the audience, the Sports Festival drew to a close; students and the public alike returning to their usual activities, although word of the event would linger in the streets for weeks to come. The day was finally over.

Dawn made its presence known in the morning sky once again. A certain insomniac was making his way to the usual meeting spot: a park on the coast of Mustafau. He never questioned why they met there of all places, considering they always went elsewhere to train. This he paid no mind to, for this was the first time after yesterday's event that they were to meet. The previous evening he had officially been inducted into the Hero Course proper, placed in class 1-A no less. Unfortunately, due to internships the heroes-in-training were to have, his first class wouldn't be for another month.

"You did good kid, you did good. It's about time someone showed 'em quirks weren't everything. If only there were more like you, then maybe society wouldn't be as pitiful as it is now. No matter, congratulations on getting first place and being accepted into the hero course! I noticed you heeded my advice against Kacchan, heck, I've never seen him so content with a fight that didn't end in his favour," Zomu-Sensei stated, adding a small chuckle afterward.

"Normally this would be where we part ways, after all, heroes aren't exactly fond of my 'habits' and the last thing I want is for you to be dragged into my mess. However, I have another proposal for you; for a long while now I've been alone in my quest to help others first and foremost and I have been searching for someone to accompany me, another to whom I can call partner. Will you, Shinso, join me in this escapade of justice?"

Now that came out of nowhere. The Nozomu wanted him to become a vigilante alongside him? This was a lot to take in. On the one hand, it would further improve his technique and ability, but if he were caught, it could ruin his chances of being a future pro. So many factors, so little time. 

His storm of internal debacle was interrupted by a thought that brought him to clarity. It was Nozomu who had brought him this far. As much as he neglected to admit it, Shinso was forever indebted to him. Doing this would both be the start of repaying that debt, but also would provide him much needed experience in what it was like to be a hero in the field.

Upon that reasoning, Hitoshi Shinso made his final choice. He would indeed accept the mantle of vigilante, henceforth becoming Minarai.

Hello again, Xavier here!

Looks like Shinso is going to accompany Midoriya as a vigilante for the time being. Now, as promised, here's me responding to a few questions asked by you guys last chapter.

"Had u ever thought that your fanfic will be in a YouTube video?" - Shonaku

Honestly, when I began writing this back in September, I wasn't expecting much if any recognition, let alone be featured in a video (I'm still super chuffed about that). Even now, I'm writing this just because I want to write a decent story, not for fame or other like-minded goals. To be blunt, I was originally intending on it ending with Izuku being crushed to death by the zero pointer (because let's be honest, that's probably what would've happened).

"Will Izuku keep his secret safe?" - WizardFoxAngel

I'll answer this with another question: does the name 'Hosu' ring any bells? I'll leave the theorizing up to you.