Chapter 13 - The Entertainment device

Jess gasped at the news that Miriam had been in contact with Canaanites. Everyone knew that those outside the borders were cursed people. They lived in extreme poverty and had compromised DNA. They were diseased. For decades now the war had continued because the foreigners wanted the clean, pure land of the estates but the front was holding them back. That was why so many men were sacrificed each year. To maintain a pure and clean way of life. To keep the estates safe.

Miriam shook her head. "It is not really what you think. Canaanites are not all sick or poor. Some are wealthy and they live long lives. Some of them live here in Moriah with our people."

Now Jess shook her head. It wasn't that she didn't believe Miriam, but it was a lot to accept. She had always been taught that their way of life was superior to others and that it needed protecting from outsiders. Lately, she had felt that somethings that had happened were not right. That maybe, some husbands did not treat their wives very well. That some of the punishments that were handed out were not entirely deserved. Plus everyone knew that it was not fair that the young men were recruited to the war. However, it was a necessary evil for protecting their way of life. Just as it was necessary that older men held estates and maintained large numbers of wives.

Jess decided to go into the system. She encouraged Miriam to go and have a nice long shower with the promise that when she came out, she would order food and tap Jess on the shoulder to let her know about it.

Once Miriam was gone, Jess grabbed an entertainment unit from the lounge area. She entered and realised she had new options for entertainment. Now that the communication device was turned on, she could see all sorts of new videos, some old and some that seemed to be live. She saw a lot of videos of live action at the front line. She could see men being killed and blown to pieces in the war. It was awful to see.

She also found lots of sex videos. Women and men in various stages of undress and pleasure. Some of the scenes were violent and shocking to her and she didn't want to look at it. However, seeing the pleasure on the faces of some of the women made her think of Adriel. She missed him so much. She imagined that she was one of the women in the videos and Adriel was the man. She clicked out of the sex area.

She saw another platform that had a lot of different videos of various lengths. Many of them seemed homemade. Jess liked how the people talked to her about what they were doing. Some were exercising, others were putting stuff on their faces that looked like paint. Jess liked the face paint videos and wanted to see more.

After watching a few makeup tutorials, and following the suggestions that the platform gave her, she entered a world where a woman was talking.

"Hi guys, welcome to my channel – Colleen's world" she drawled.

"So, today I just wanted to come on and have a rant about jerks who call themselves influencers and make up experts, but are fake, fake, fake!" Her voice took on an interesting high-pitched sound that attracted Jess further into the video. She walked around the room where Colleen was sitting, looking at the tools and bottles, listening to her speak. Suddenly, in the middle of her story, she held up a communication device and said: "Hey Siri, call fake jerk Jack!"

The device hummed in her hand and a man's voice began to speak.

"Hey Jack, how could you lie about your makeup. You say it cost a fortune to make in the factory and you claim it is top quality, but it stained my eyelid blue! It's gross!" Jess could hear the man's voice – Jack – protesting against Colleen's claims. Jack was defending himself to her.

The conversation went back and forth for a little while until Colleen, who seemed to grow highly irate, pressed a red button on the communication device to end the call.