Behind The Mask

Draco~~~
Draco thought he'd feel something. Sadness maybe, or anger? But no... All he felt was numb. He knew what to do. He picked up his backpack, then making sure that Harry was gone, he made his way over to the roof. The roof was the only place in the school where you could count on being alone. Last year, when he'd wanted to self-harm he'd tried to bathrooms. But then one time a year 7 almost caught him. He didn't see Draco cutting, but he saw a dark red stain on Draco's shirt. But it turned out okay, as Draco managed to pass it off as ink, saying his pen had exploded.

The roof was calm and quiet. Draco reached into his bag and produced the vodka - but he couldn't find the pills...
"Fuck!" he thought, "now what am I going to do?"
"that's easy... Just jump. Sure it might be a bit messy, but that'll just show them even more of the pain you had to go through. Overdose might not work anyway, you might not take enough. But if you jump - you'll fall 4 floors. That means you'll probably die on impact... Whereas you'd feel the life slipping out of you with the pills. Just jump... "

Harry~~~
Harry and Hermione had been running all over the school to try and find Draco. When he got back to Draco's form room he felt sick when he found it empty. Harry was going out of his mind. This was all his fault - if Draco did do something, it would've been Harry who pushed him. That was when it hit him. If you were going to kill yourself at school, the easiest - and most private - place was the roof!

Harry ran and ran, praying he wasn't too late. When he arrived he began yelling Draco's name. He ran to the back of the school, as there was a secluded part of the roof, mainly narrowed off by the electrical room. When Harry got there, he felt his blood run cold when he saw Draco, sitting on the balcony ledge. His hands then pushed forward, and Draco's grip loosened on the railing as he fell....

"NO!" Harry screamed, and launched himself forward. He leaned over the railing and grabbed Draco's arm. He pulled him up, which considering his weight was quite easy, and once he'd got him safely over the ledge he wrapped his arms around the sobbing, shaking boy - too scared to let go.

Both~~~
Each of the boys were crying, Harry because he'd been so close to losing him - if he'd got there 1 minute later.... And Draco because he was just broken. There was no mask anymore, just a broken boy who felt so broken he wanted to die. Draco was still wrapped in Harry's arms, shaking uncontrollably as he gasped for breath through his sobs. They heard the bell for form, and later for class - but neither of them cared. A while later, once Draco had calmed down, Harry managed to release him from his grip a bit. Turning to look at him, all he could ask was, "Why....?"
But Draco just shook his head, clearly still too distraught to answer yet.

Some time passed, then the bell for break rang - and it occurred to Harry that they'd missed chemistry. He wondered about going to class - but Draco was hardly in a good place to go to class, and he wasn't going to leave him on his own.
"Draco.... Is this about what happened on Saturday....?" Harry asked, stoking Draco's hair a little, but his question was only met by silence. Harry sighed before saying, "Draco.... I can't help you if you don't talk to me..... Please, just... Talk to me...."
Draco wiped his eyes before sitting up slightly and turning towards Harry, his head bowed.
"I guess it was bound to happen eventually...." he said, his voice shakey from crying.
"What do you mean.... Is this about your past?"
Draco nodded before saying, "my mum died in a hit and run when I was 2, and I saw it.... Seeing Jason, it just brought it all back...." as he said this, 2 tears ran down either side of his face, before he continued, "it...b-broke my d-dad, he - he'd always had a temper... But after my mum died he just..."
Harry comforted him, but didn't stop him - Draco needed to do this, "What happened?"
"He would... Beat me... He would always beat me...... I was s-so a-scared.... And he'd starve me - just giving me enough to l-live...."
Harry couldn't believe this.... Draco had to live through this all on his own... And when he was so young..... But Draco wasn't finished.
" And then... When I was e-eight he... He r-raped m-me and the b-beating just got worse.... "Draco said, choking back sobs, but unable to stop the flow of tears. Harry felt sick... It couldn't be true... Draco can't have gone through all this pain and fear....

"When I was 11," Draco continued, trying to stay strong, "he locked me in the basement for 11 days and... And he raped me and beat me and he wouldn't feed me...." the tears fell down his face, and Harry's too - the pain that Draco would've had to go through....
       "I eventually caught pneumonia because it was so cold.... My dad brought me to the hospital, but he just left me there, and I never saw him again...."

"I then went to live with a foster family, Ms Baileys and her daughter, Amelia. Everything was fine.... But one day I caught Amelia cutting herself... But I didn't understand and when I did she told me she'd stopped but when I was nearly t-thirteen s-she s-stabbed herself with a k-knife and I f-found her.... I s-saw her d-die.... S-she killed herself b-because she w-wanted to be h-happy..."
All the words came out in a huge rush, and Harry immediately wrapped him in a hug, calming down his breaths and stoking his hair, doing everything he could to calm the boy he loved down.

"Draco, have you done anything else to hurt yourself in anyway. Or has anyone made you feel like doing something?"
Draco was quiet for a moment before answering, "all the boys at the home would tell me I was fat... So last year I stopped eating as much...... I just don't feel like eating.... And if I ate when I was with my dad he would beat me even more...."
"Draco.... You're not fat...."
"30 people can't be lying can they?"
Harry sighed, but pressed forward, "Have you done anything else?"
Draco didn't say anything but replied with a nod, before pulling up his sleeves to reveal dozens of red cuts, varying in length and depth, all the way down his arms.....