Chapter 9

IN THE DOCTORS OFFICE

My eyes fluttered open to see a man in a white coat.  

"Miss Green! So glad you could join us again. You really had us worried, it was a close call. I can go get your friends now if you'd like"

"NO!"

The doctor looked at me surprised at my sudden outburst. I sighed and told him to sit down. I looked down and explained that I did not want to see whoever is outside the door. He nodded and led me out the back and wished me luck.

Aw shit. Here we go again.

Race POV

I regained my consciousness, the note still gripped tightly in my hand. I was back in the lodging house with the 'hattan newsies along with a few Brooklynites. I stood up abruptly and screamed. "WHERE'S KRIS" no one answered me, instead they all looked down.

No. No way. Tears filled my eyes. And then I remembered. Conlon..

"WHERE THE HELL IS CONLON?! ISE BOUT TO SOAK THE LIVIN DAYLIGHTS OUTTA 'IM"

"he's at the hospital"

I bolted to the hospital as fast as my legs  would carry me, tears stinging and blurring my eyes.

AT THE HOSPITAL

I burst through the doors and scan the room. Spot. I walked over to him looked him dead in the eyes and slapped that motherfucker hard across the face.

  "Aye what the fUk man!"

"You know damn straight why Ise slapped you! and Ise'bout to do it again!"

"No, I really don't"

I know damn straight this son of a gun did not just say he don't know. I threw thew the note at Spot, "Read it! That's why!". I fell to the ground. My world was collapsing around me. Please don't take my Kris from me. I slowed my sobs and did the one thing I could think of right now. Pray. I was never really the religious type, but I know it's built on faith, and i'll do anything if it means I might get Kris back.

Spot POV

Race threw a paper at me. I picked it up and begun to read, "Dear Whoever Maybe Reading This". I immediately put the paper down and shut my eyes. No, it's not possible. She wouldn't. As Race prayed on the ground, I picked up the letter and continued to read the note. With every word, my heart ached more and more. I yearned to be with her right now. She was looking for ME the night of the rally. She put her faith in ME. She wanted to love... me.

I tore my eyes from the note after finishing it and at that exact moment, a doctor came through the doors, "those of Kris Green?" he asked. Race and I hurriedly ran over to the man, but his face was long and solemn. 

"I'm so sorry, but Kris is gone-"

Before I could speak Race cut in.

"WHAT? NO! ILL BE DAMNED IF SHE DEAD! GIMME THOSE ELECTRIC SHOT THINGYS! ISE OUTTA DO IT MA SELF"

"you didn't let me finish. She's alive but-"

This time I cut in.

"WHY DIDNT YOUSE SAY SO EARLIER! TAKE US TO HER!"

"BOTH OF YOUSE SHUT IT"

Race and I both shut up.

"Now as I was tryin ta say. Kris is alive, but she is gone. As in she left"

Race and I were confused for a minute before it finally sunk in.

Race POV

She's alive thank whatever god is out there, but she left. She didn't just leave the newsies, but she left me. I thought she'd at least say goodbye. She went to restart her life once more.

Race and Spot Thoughts

"Damn it Kris, where'd ya go?"

Kris POV

I had been running for a good while now, I went to the only place I knew. The Bronx. My best friend from the orphanage, Charlie, works as a newsie down there so I thought this would be my best shot.

Narrator POV

Kris approached a large building, supposedly the lodging house of the Bronx and knocked on the door. A tall boy, green eyes, tan skin, and wavy brown hair had opened the door.

"Hello there miss. What can Ise do for ya"

"I'm looking for a friend. Her name's Charlie"

"Oh yea, o'course"

This mystery boy led her through the house to a room. He opened a door to an office and spoke once more. 

"Hey boss. Youse got a visitor"

He dismissed himself as someone spun around in a chair. (yk.. like villans do in movies? but ofc Charlie isn't a bad guy). 

"what do youse wan-"

Charlie immediately stopped herself when she saw who it was. The two girls ran at each other and hugged.

"what is youse doin 'ere! We're not supposed to meet for another 5 days!"

Kris POV

Charlie asked why I was here. I told her to sit down and explained everything that happened. Including Eli, Race finding me, falling for Spot, cutting myself, and running away.

A FEW TEARS LATER

"Of course! You can get your fresh start here in The Bronx! You can work as a newsie. We'd change your appearance and give you a new alias."

"Thank You SO much, Charlie"

"ight, now let's introduce youse to tha bois"

2 MONTHS LATER

Ive decided to change my name from Kris Green to Taylor, most people call me Lucky. I also died my light brown hair darker and kept a low profile my first week. But when Charlie stepped down from the head of the newsies, I took her spot. I've also become just as close to the Bronx newsies as the 'hattan newsies, but no one could compare to Race.

MEANWHILE

Narrators POV

Race was heartbroken. His best friend had suddenly left his life. Most of the newsies lost hope after a month of constant searching for her, but not Race. He knew she was out there somewhere, and he knew that she was strong.

Spot, on the other hand, was the definition of "fucked up". He was worse than ever. Getting drunk, sleeping around, he was an all-round dick, but this was his coping mechanism. No one except Kris had him attached. He was always tough, but Kris found his soft spot. Her absence has made him vulnerable, and the only ways he could try to fill the empty void within him was pleasure, drugs, and sleep. Yet, none of the above succeeded.