Chapter 23

Narrator POV

"Come on Spottie" Race begged. "Loosen up a bit Spot! Let's focus on the good things!" Kid Blink chimed in.

"PARTY IN AT TIBBYS TONIGHT" Mush screeched. The 'Hattan newsies and some Brooklynites cheered in response.

Spot POV

I guess there really is no use letting myself go after all these years. Make the most of my youth right? I looked back up to Race with a weak smile and nodded my head.

Race POV

"HOLY SHIT SPOT SAID YES! YOU KNOW WHAT THAT MEANS BOIS?!" I screamed. I was so delighted Spot is finally taking baby steps out of his little cave and moving on. Don't get me wrong, I love Kris and Spot, but for him to be depressed like this for all these years that have gone by isn't healthy. Were all 17 or 18 now, we aren't going to be selling forever.

Some of the boys already have jobs. Most just sell papes on the side for extra cash.

LATER AT TIBBYS

Narrator POV

"OI BRING ME ANOTHER ROUND" Race drunkenly sang.

Spot rolled his eyes. He had a few drinks here and there, but he had learned that he shouldn't get drunk. Afterall, he was still the leader of the Brooklynites.

After 3 hours of socializing half-heartedly, Spot started to sober his friends up and told the bar boy to hold the drinks and just give them water. He didn't want to be dragging his friends home at 3am in the morning.

Once most of his crew were sober enough to walk straight, he had them each take at least one wasted boy to the Manhattan lodging house . Once they arrived they all past out once more.

Spot sighed and sat on the fire escape. He sat on the ledge to get some air, but still in the view of the sleeping newsies. He stared at the sky, admiring how many stars there were. "All these stars, and yet youse still the light of ma life" he muttered to himself.

Spot POV

I sat on the fire escape, longing for her presence. I should have chased her that day of the meeting. I should have been there. All these years that passed by, people would tell me to move on, but how can I move on when I caused her disappearance?

The one time I let my guard down I fall in love. I was whole, I was complete, but I gave her my heart and when she left, she took it with her. Those feelings, thoughts, and pure passion were now stripped from me.

That void only she can fill. Whether my love is unrequited or not, she has my heart. And she always will. It was inevitable the minute I met her. Whether I like it or not, my love is hers, forever..

I was stuck out of my haze as tears blurred my vision and soaked my shirt. I wiped my eyes and looked up. To my surprise a boy was biking down the street with a bunch of unconscious boys.

"Huh, I guess I'm not the only sober one responsible" I thought.

I observed the boy as he paused and stepped off his bike. Confused, I stalked him further.

He stepped into the middle of the street underneath the lamppost. He looked around, as if he was analyzing his surroundings.

It was then my jaw dropped. He took of his cap and revealed a familiar long brown hair.

"It can't be.." I whispered.

I discreetly climbed down the fire escape and came closer to her. I watched her back, but when she turned around once more I felt as if the wind was knocked out of me.

I feel back on my ass in pure shock. Kris?!
Too dumbstruck to do anything, I sat watching her. She kneeled down, tightly gripping her shirt. Tears streamed down her face. No matter the situation, she always looked beautiful. She finally stood up looking up at her surroundings, a faint sad smile played on her lips.

My heart clenched at the scene in front of me. I won't let you go this time.

The whole situation didn't register until I noticed she started biking away again.

My eyes went wide as I realized what events had unraveled before me. I slapped myself hard and took off after her.

She sped off towards Brooklyn on her bike. Dragging a wagon with a few of my boys who were drunk? Since I was running on foot, it took me a while to get to Brooklyn.

ONE DESPERATE SPRINT LATER..

I finally arrived in Brooklyn territory. I ran through a shortcut to the lodging house to check on my boys. They were in their beds, tucked in, and had wet towels on some of their foreheads.

I smiled as I glanced back at the. She went through all of that to bring our drunk boys home..

I ran back out of the door ready to start my search when I was interrupted by feint conversations. Couples. I remember telling her I liked watching couples on the doc when we were talking about life on the bridge. 

My smile was immediately wiped off my face when I realized where she was. I sprinted off to the Brooklyn Bridge with all the gas I had left. This situation felt all to familiar. I'll be damned if I let history repeat.

The thought of a second chance increased my speed. 

I arrived at the bridge and started climbing up the beams. Ignoring the pain in my hands, I kept reaching my way up. I started crawling to her spot when I froze. "Kris?" I whispered.

There she was. A knife in her hand? Hell no! "Kris?! KRIS!" She turned around and her eyes widened. My heart dropped as I saw red drip down her arms. No.. not again.

"Spot."

And just like that she collapsed. I rushed towards her. Pulling her into my chest. Tears were running down my face as I tucked hair behind her ear.

I ripped off a piece of my shirt and tied them around her wounds. After a few more layers of makeshift bandages, I looked at her once more.

Her she is. In my arms. Her skin pale in the moonlight and yet a small, yet genuine smile placed on her lips. I picked her up bridal style and ran back to the Brooklyn lodging house.

"You cannot die on me. I need you to hang on". I tightened my grip on her as I ran, whispering apologies and sincere confessions to her not knowing if she can hear me or not.

"You cannot leave me.. please don't leave me"