Chapter 22

Narrator POV

Kris comes back to reality and picks herself up off the ground. She then looks up at the lodging house windows as the yellow lampost light illuminates her skin and eyes and whispers, "it was fun while it lasted" before taking off.

Kris POV

I finally came across the doc by the Brooklyn cabin. I went through the window and tossed the boys in. I prayed to God that no one was here or awake. 

I found my way to the sleeping quarters and tucked the last 5 Brooklynites in. I slipped a note under Ace's pillow, guilty of leaving him and never keeping in touch.

After finishing returning all the newsies, I found myself back at the same spot I stood at all those years ago. On the Brooklyn Bridge. Once more, I looked over and saw couples on the doc passing on a romantic 3am walk and the beautiful stars reflecting on the water.

I took out the knife I hid between a nook and hung my legs over the edge. 

Taking a minute to clear my mind and savor the last pleasant memories I had left, I looked at the sky. "Thank You" I whispered to whoever put me on this earth.

I slowly slit my wrists, it was dark so I couldn't really see if I hit the artery or not, but relaxed as I felt the pressure release and liquid run down my fingertips. A feint smile played across my lips as the thought of freedom and peace slowly became more and more realistic. As I was about to let myself fall, I heard a voice.

a feint "Kris?"

now a slightly more audible whisper "kris?"

Now a distant, but clear voice "Kris?!"

a loud, familiar voice screamed "KRIS!"

I turned around, no aware it wasn't the voices in my head calling for me.

There, right in front of me, he stood.

He was right there.

"spot."