The Draft

"Dude," Ned says

"Dude," Ned says. He was looking at his phone, probably on twitter cause he's addicted to that app. Sure enough I look over and he on Twitter, looking at the trending hashtags. "World War Three is trending."

"What?" Peter has been in enough wars, he didn't need another one. "Why? Is this just a meme?"

"Idk bro," Ned replies.

"Earlier I was on Instagram and a lot of the news sites I follow were reporting of the death of a Iranian General. He seemed pretty important and was killed by an American Air Strike." MJ comments. "So it's quite possible that it actually is the start of World War Three."

Oh MJ, ever the optimist.

In any case I decide to check my Tik Tok. Surely the teens of Tik Tok would be making fun of this. Oh look, they are. Oh well.

"People are starting to talk about being drafted." Ned says, still scrolling on Twitter. I was starting to see some like that on Tik Tok too.

"Honestly," MJ says, "this is how World War One started so I wouldn't be surprised if its happening again."

"But drafted?" Peter asks. He had been through enough but no one really knew. I mean, sure, over summer it was exposed that Peter Parker was Spider-Man but no one really believed that. Who would believe that Spider-Man is a high school student? "You guys, I don't think I can take another war."

"Luckily I probably won't get drafted." Ned says. "They usually won't take people unless their in peak condition. At least that's how it was with the last draft."

"Yeah but with the last draft they didn't take women either." MJ states. "Things might change."

"Do you guys think we're really gonna go to war?" Peter asks.

His friends look at him. Instead of seeing their best friend, they saw someone who had been through too much. And unfortunately they couldn't give him an answer to his question.

———

"Hey Happy," Peter says, getting into the older mans car after the final bell dismissed him from school.

"Hey kid." Happy drives off and the car elapsed into silence. That usually doesn't happen. Something about this threw Happy off. I'm the backseat of his car wasn't the usual talkative, borderline annoying kid he'd grown used too.

The pair were about ten minutes away from the school with about twenty minutes left in the drive. Happy was confident he could get to the bottom of this before they reached the compound.

"Kid," Happy starts. "What's bothering you?"

"Huh?" Peter looks up from his lap and towards the front seat.

"Usually, around this time you're talking my ear off, what happened today? Is everything okay?" Happy sounder genuinely concerned.

"I don't know."

"What do you mean?" Happy asked. "What could possibly not be okay?"

"I don't know if you're on social media at all or if you've been watching the news but there some drastic stuff and people are saying it might lead to World War Three. The thing is I know the internet tends to overreact but apparently this is kinda similar to what started World War One. People have started talking about a draft and Happy I don't want to go into another War. I don't want to watch my friends go into a war at all. And to top it off I don't even know if this is a possibility but now I'm scared because what if I lose everyone else." Peter pauses for a second. Tears had started to trek down his face. "I just don't know anymore, Happy."

Happy was heartbroken by this. He took a second to respond because how do you respond to that?

In the backseat of his car was a kid, still a teenager, messed up because he's been in a war. And not just one, multiple. This kid has lost so much, and doesn't want to lose anymore, how do you respond to that?

"Look," Happy says. "I can't promise there won't be another war, especially in your line of work, but I can promise to keep you safe. And as long as I can I'll keep your friends safe too. I know it's not much of a condolence but I'm here for you and there are so many others who are here for you, whenever you need to talk. You've been through a lot and your still only a teenager so we can understand how this may be a tough time for you, okay?"

Peter nods his head and goes silent again. The rest of the ride was filled with the occasional sniffle from the teenager in the backseat.

When they pull up to the compound Happy pauses before letting the two of them out of the car.

"Remember, were here for you." He says. "Oh, and also, we have some surprise visitors today." And with that he lets the two of them out and onto the compound.

As Peter exits the car he notices and small figure standing next to a taller one. It was unmistakable, Pepper and Morgan Stark.

Ever since the death of Tony Stark, Peter and Morgan grew close. They became like siblings and whenever they were in the vicinity they were inseparable. So naturally when they saw each other that day they ran together to hug.

"Peter!" Morgan exclaims on her way to his open arms.

After their hug the pull apart and Morgan notices the fair tear tracks on his checks. She reaches out to touch them and says. "What happened? Why do you look sad?"

"No reason," Peter says. "It's not that big a deal."

Morgan pulls Peter in for another hug and whispers in his ear, "it's okay, I still cry too."

So was that kinda heart wrenching? Sure. Did I have to write this for some reason? Of course. Do I regret it? Not really. Did I make myself increasingly sad as I thought about what to write next? Yes. Of course I did. How could I write this and not?