Chapter II

The following day at school, Chloe was determined to ask Beca out. She was scared shitless but she knew she would regret not asking Beca so she had to do it. Aubrey was skeptical but she knew she couldn't change Chloe's mind. Once Chloe was set on something, there was nothing anyone could do to stop her. Aubrey's biggest fear was Chloe getting hurt. Chloe was the kindest person Aubrey had ever met and Beca was the worst. Chloe was bright, bubbly, optimistic, caring, kind, compassionate, and loving. Beca was the complete opposite of that. Aubrey knew that opposites attract but Chloe and Beca? That seemed to be pushing it a bit too much.

However, Chloe didn't think so. She thought that Beca was the best thing since sliced bread. The redhead adored the grumpy brunette and she knew that deep down, Beca was a total softie with a big heart even if nobody else could see it. Chloe had a knack for seeing things in people that others couldn't.

"Are you sure you want to do this?" Aubrey checked as Chloe eyed off Beca from across the cafeteria.

"Yes," she nodded. "I want to do this. I want her."

"Alright," she sighed softly. "Go get her."

"Thanks."

Taking a courageous breath, Chloe got up from her seat and made her way over to Beca who was chatting with her friends. Chloe got more and more nervous every step she took. Doing something so bold was so un-Chloe. Her knees were shaking, her palms were clammy, her mouth was dry, and if her heart were to beat any faster it would have gone into cardiac arrest. Despite this, Chloe was so determined that she didn't even care if that girl Beca was making out the previous day was her girlfriend. Chloe wanted Beca and that's all she cared about.

"Beca?" Chloe spoke.

The brunette stopped talking to her friends and looked at the girl.

"Ah... Yeah?" She frowned, totally confused as to why Chloe was interrupting her.

"Can, I, ah... Can I speak to you for a minute? Please?"

Beca frowned at her then looked at her friends who were just as shocked and confused as she was. Chloe felt her heart thumping in her ears and in what felt like a lifetime, Beca got up from her seat and agreed to talk to her. Chloe squealed inside as she walked out of the cafeteria, giving Aubrey an excited smile as they left.

"Thanks for agreeing to talk to me," said Chloe once she and Beca were alone.

"Yeah, it's fine. What did you want to talk to me about?" She sighed as if she was doing Chloe the biggest favour in the world by talking to her.

"Well, um..." Chloe began fiddling with her silver thumb ring - something she did when she got nervous. "I, I... I..."

"Come on, Beale, spit it out! I haven't got all day!"

"Sorry, I'm just nervous."

Beca sighed, agitated.

"Well, the thing is, Beca... is... is that... I, I like you. I like you and I was wondering if... maybe if you wanted to... like... go out sometime?"

Beca stood there shocked. She had no idea Chloe would do something so bold.

"You... you want... What?"

"I know it's a big thing but I... I have a crush on you. I always have and it's taken me ages to come up and talk to you like this."

Beca was speechless, which made Chloe extremely nervous.

"Chloe... I... You... No."

Chloe's heart fell. "W, what?"

"No."

"Wh, why?" Chloe tried her best not to cry.

"Because we're two different people who have nothing in common."

"You don't even know me to make that assumption."

"I don't need to. You're a nerd and I'm a badass. You like school and I don't."

"So? That's got nothing to do with having a relationship together."

"Listen, Chloe, I'm saying that we wouldn't get along. You're too much of a goody-two-shoes and we just wouldn't be right for each other."

"But... I see you checking me out."

"What makes you say that?"

"Because I've caught you looking at me multiple times."

"Doesn't mean I'm checking you out. I look at people all the time."

Chloe wanted to bite back but she didn't want to get into a fight with Beca. Plus, Chloe was very sensitive at that moment and the last thing she wanted to do was cry.

"Can't you just give me a chance?" Chloe pleaded.

"Sorry, dude but we wouldn't work out even if I did give you a chance. It's best that you stay clear of me anyway."

"Oh... O, okay..." Chloe went to say more but she knew if she did, she'd burst out into tears so she just left, racing into the bathroom and sobbing into her hands.

Chloe felt her heart break in half and it was the most awful feeling she had ever experienced.

"Chloe?" Aubrey's voice was heard on the other side of the toilet stall Chloe locked herself in. "Come here, honey."

Chloe sniffed and unlocked the door, immediately falling into Aubrey's arms. Chloe knew there was no pretending that she was alright with Aubrey. Aubrey could read Chloe better than she could read a book.

"I'm sorry," said the blonde, rubbing Chloe's back softly.

"It's not your fault."

"I know but it's still not nice. You're too good for her, Chlo. I know you don't believe it but you are. You're top of your classes and Beca isn't. She's just a rebel kid who thinks she's too good for anything or anyone. It's not you, okay? It's her. It's all her and she's such a fool for turning down someone as amazing as you."

Even though Chloe was hurting, she could always trust Aubrey to say the right thing. Aubrey always had her way with words and she was always a good support for Chloe.

"Come on," Aubrey rubbed Chloe's shoulder once the redhead pulled back to wipe her tears. "Don't let her ruin your day. We've got Gym later so you can get out your feelings. I think we're playing soccer today."

"That'll be good," Chloe nodded. "Thanks, Bree."

Aubrey smiled softly. "You're welcome."

The two best friends put their arms around each other as they left the bathroom. Chloe was still a bit upset for the remainder of the day but playing soccer helped her a little. Despite Beca turning her down, Chloe still couldn't control her feelings for the brunette but Chloe hoped that they would go away soon.