Chapter III

Chloe was still determined to get with Beca. Yes, the brunette had hurt her but Chloe thought that if she were to befriend Beca then perhaps Beca would have been able to see how well the two of them got along and hopefully from there, become girlfriends.

"I'm not so sure, Chlo..." said Aubrey who was sitting on Chloe's bed as they did their homework together.

"Why not? It's a perfect idea!"

"It's good but I really don't think you should invest any more time into Beca. She hurt you once. Are you really prepared for it to happen again?"

"That's what life is about, Bree - taking risks."

"I know it is but there are some risks that we don't have to take."

"What have you got against Beca anyway?"

"Where do I start! She's moody, grumpy, has an appalling attitude, smart-mouthed, intractable, and is a total dropkick."

"That's a bit harsh, don't you think?"

"It's true, Chlo. You can't tell me that she isn't anything I just listed."

"Well, I think she's amazing, cute, sexy, badass, hot..."

"Most of those are features and your attractiveness towards her. Looks don't matter, you know? It's what's on the inside that counts."

"Oh, so does that go for you every time you check out Stacie?"

Aubrey's cheeks flushed. "W, what?"

"Oh, don't give me that, Bree. I see how you look at Stacie. I see how you practically drool over her when she walks by in one of her short skirts or low-cut tops. These baby blues don't miss a thing."

Aubrey could have never admitted it but she did find Stacie Conrad extremely attractive and she more often than not thought about what it would have been like to be her girlfriend. Aubrey was always work-orientated but Stacie came along and changed that for her. Aubrey tried to focus on her work but when Stacie was in her class, it was quite difficult.

"Oh, don't be ridiculous!" Aubrey waved her hand. "Everyone looks at Stacie. Heck, even YOU do!"

"Yes, but not like you. NOTHING like you actually..." The smirk on Chloe's face was only getting bigger the harder Aubrey flushed.

"Oh, shut up. This homework isn't going to do itself, you know?"

Chloe bit her lip to stifle a giggle. The redhead knew that Aubrey had a crush on Stacie but she also knew her best friend would have never told her. Aubrey was too proud and too stubborn - something she and Beca had in common.

"But back to Beca really quickly," Aubrey continued. "I'd think about pursuing her if I were you."

"I have thought about it and I think it's a good idea."

"I mean think about it for more than a few hours. Like, give it a good week or so."

"A week?"

"Yes. You need to REALLY think about it. You're going to put a lot of time and effort into this girl who will more likely than not keep pushing you away and rejecting you and you and I, and the rest of our friends, know that you don't cope well with rejection."

"I know but-"

"No, no buts. Just think about it, Chloe. Beca is the total opposite of you and I don't want you getting hurt by someone like her and I know you don't want to get hurt either."

"Alright," Chloe nodded. "I'll think about it."

"Good."

~

Chloe did what Aubrey suggested and thought about her idea for a week and after that time had passed, Chloe was still determined to befriend Beca. Aubrey was still against it but she was Chloe's best friend so she supported her. Chloe knew the task of befriending badass Beca Mitchell was going to be difficult but the redhead's drive was strong. Chloe decided to start off simply by talking to Beca more in class. She often asked the brunette how she was, how her day had gone, and small things like that. Unfortunately, Beca gave Chloe short, blunt answers but Chloe didn't let that get to her. She knew that Beca was a tough person, meaning that it would have taken a lot more effort.

It was hard for Chloe not to get hurt by Beca rejecting her over and over again but it wasn't long until Chloe seized an opportunity where she was sure to get Beca's attention - at a high school party. Chloe hadn't been to a party before but now that she was a senior, she decided that it was time.

"I don't know about this, Chloe..." Aubrey protested as Chloe was getting ready for the party.

"Oh, come on, Bree, don't be like that! It'll be fun! Just let loose and have a good time! And who knows, you might even be able to hook up with Stacie. She's going to be there and just imagine what she'd be wearing."

Chloe was pulling everything she could to get her best friend to come to the party. Chloe was very confident in herself but she still wanted to have someone by her side just in case things went bad.

"Why do you want to go so badly?" Aubrey asked, completely ignoring Chloe's question and trying hard not to imagine what Stacie would be wearing. "You're not a party girl."

"I am tonight! Beca will be there and I think this will be the perfect opportunity to show her that I'm not such a "goody-two-shoes" and that I can have a good time."

"You don't need to prove yourself to her, you know? You know you can have a good time so you don't need to go out of your way to prove it to ANYBODY. Especially Beca Mitchell."

"Perhaps. Now," Chloe stepped out of her wardrobe in a short black skirt, a white low-cut top, and lace-up heels.

She had curled her hair and put up an abundance of makeup to really make her eyes and lips pop.

"How do I look?"

"Wow..." Aubrey uttered. "Chloe... What have you done to yourself?"

"I've given myself a little upgrade. Do you think Beca will like it?"

"I think everyone will like it, Chlo but I fear that it'll attract the wrong sort of attention."

"Perhaps but maybe when Beca sees me getting all of this attention, she might want me."

"That's really not how relationships are supposed to work..."

"Oh, shush. Now, let's get you looking nice for Stacie."

"Chloe..." Aubrey whined.

"No, I'm not having you turn me down! Come on!" Chloe grabbed Aubrey's hands and pulled her off the bed as they got ready for the party.