Chapter IX

It was the day of Chloe's birth and the redhead was both scared and excited. Chloe's parents were there as was Beca and her dad. As usual, Beca didn't want to go but she was forced into going and to stand by Chloe's side and support her the entire time.

"Ow! It hurts!" Chloe cried out as she had another contraction.

"The epidural is coming, honey!" Mrs. Beale said, wiping Chloe's forehead with a cool, wet cloth.

"Beca, hold her hand for God's sake!" Mr. Mitchell ordered.

Beca huffed but obeyed and Chloe grabbed onto Beca's hand for dear life, almost crippling the brunette.

"Shit, dude!" Beca hissed. "I'd like to leave here with my hand in one piece!"

"Are you ready for your epidural, Miss Beale?" The nurse asked.

"Yes!" She cried.

The nurse chuckled and gave Chloe the injection, which made Chloe's birthing process a whole lot easier. Chloe squeezed Beca's hand the entire time as her parents made sure that she was okay. In what felt like forever, Chloe finally gave birth to her daughter and the immediate sight of her made everyone in the room cry, except for Beca, of course. Chloe let go of Beca's hand so she could hold her baby after Beca (reluctantly) cut the cord.

"I'm going to go ice my hand..." Beca announced as she left the room but nobody really paid much attention.

"Do you have a name, mommy?" The midwife asked.

"Yes," Chloe nodded. "She's named after the person I know is important to someone I love. Cassie."

"Beautiful name, Miss Beale. A beautiful name for a beautiful baby. Congratulations."

"Thank you." Chloe leaned down to her daughter and kissed her head. "Hey, baby girl. Welcome to the world... Where's Beca?" The redhead asked worriedly.

"She's just gone to get some ice for her hand," Mr. Mitchell explained. "She'll be back soon."

"Oh. Okay." Chloe gazed back down at her daughter as the rest of the family did the same.

~

The birth of Chloe's baby was a miracle in Chloe's eyes but to Beca, it was only a burden. As soon as Chloe went home with the baby, Beca's attitude only worsened. She ignored Chloe even more and hardly ever had time for their baby. Whenever Chloe questioned Beca about where she went, Beca always deflected and told Chloe that she "never signed up for this" and would leave or go to bed. It was hard for Chloe and she honestly felt like a single parent. Mr. Mitchell tried his best to knock some sense into Beca but again, the brunette was too stubborn and selfish to care. Chloe was worried that Beca was sleeping around with random girls but Beca told her that wasn't any of her business.

Beca did go out to bars and made out with girls and those makeout sessions did get quite heated but whenever Beca was on the verge of having sex with them, she would stop in fear of getting them pregnant or worried that they would have taken advantage of her as she believed Chloe did so she left ended up leaving. Beca wished that she was free of these burdens but no matter how much she drank, Beca always woke up the next day with Chloe and the baby on her mind. She hated it and she wished they would just leave her mind but they never did.

Chloe's parents often checked up on the redhead to see how she was going and Chloe was happy she had her daughter. However, whenever they asked about Beca, Chloe always made excuses for her saying that she was at work and was out looking for another job. When they asked how Beca was treating her, Chloe told them that she was getting better towards her. She didn't have the heart to tell them that Beca was actually treating her worse. Mr. Mitchell couldn't tell them either. He wanted to give Beca a chance and every day he tried to get Beca to come good but it only repelled Beca away further, which was hard to watch.

"No, I don't want to get married," Chloe said when Mr. Beale brought up the subject.

"Why not?"

"Beca doesn't love me, daddy. She never has and she never will. I don't want to be a single mother but I think it would be healthier for me and the baby if we lived without her. I know you want us to get married but I can't put myself and the baby through that."

"I... I thought you said she was getting better with you?"

Chloe shook her head. "No, she's only gotten worse. I didn't want to tell you because I wanted to avoid the drama."

"Chlobear... You can't keep things like that from me."

"I know but it was just easier that way. Beca's dad and I have been trying to get her to open up and help but it's not working. She's just getting worse so I've given up. She doesn't even know the name of her daughter."

Mr. Beale's eyes widened in shock. "She doesn't?"

"No."

"How is that even possible?"

"She's never asked and it's not like she's ever around anyway. She pretends that neither of us even exist. It hurts but I can't do it anymore, daddy... I... I just can't..." She sniffed, tears rolling down her cheeks.

"I know it's hard, honey, but let's just see how things go, okay?"

"I can't anymore, dad. I can't keep putting myself through this. I want to come home and raise my daughter with you and mom."

Mr. Beale looked into his daughter's eyes and saw all of the hurt and pain in them and he couldn't help but feel responsible. After all, he was the one who wanted the girls to live together.

"Okay, honey," he agreed. "Come home."

"Thanks, daddy."

~

"Let me take that, Chloe," Mr. Mitchell said.

"Oh, thank you."

"That's okay."

Chloe was packing her things and Mr. Mitchell was helping Chloe. Both parents talked about Chloe going back home and Mr. Mitchell agreed. He didn't want Chloe to get hurt anymore and he wanted the best for her and his grandchild who was being looked after by Chloe's parents while Chloe was packing.

"Whoa, what's going on here?" Beca asked as she came home late again.

"Chloe's going home," Mr. Mitchell answered as he put Chloe's bags in his car.

"Home? Why?"

"Because you treat her like shit, Beca! You treat her like the scum of the earth and you don't even know the name of your own baby!"

"I do so!"

"Oh, yeah? What is it?"

"It's... Sophie!"

"Oh my God! You're unbelievable." Mr. Mitchell rolled his eyes and put the last of Chloe's things in his car.

"Okay. I'm ready to go," Chloe said as she walked outside. "Oh, hello, Beca."

"You're leaving?"

"Yes. I'm done with you so I'm going back home. Goodbye."

With that, Chloe hopped in the car, not wanting to argue with Beca. Mr. Mitchell sat in the driver's seat and pulled out of the driveway. Beca stood in silence for a few moments until she felt relief. She felt like a weight had been lifted off her shoulders and for the first time in months, she genuinely smiled.

Beca didn't care that Chloe hadn't contacted her for weeks and that her dad didn't bother with her but as time went on, Beca felt as if there was something missing. She wasn't sure what it was so she didn't bother to focus on it but when the feeling grew stronger and stronger, Beca was forced to think about it and she knew it was Chloe. She missed Chloe being with her. She missed Chloe looking after her and being patient with her. She missed falling asleep next to Chloe and waking up with the redhead in her arms. The realisation was a shock to Beca but it was real and Beca was finally, FINALLY able to see that she had made the biggest mistake of her life.

"Oh, no..." She uttered. "What have I done?"