Epilogue

People milled about in front of her booth when she got back from the panel. She was on a panel about diverse characters and feminism within comics. It was pretty serious stuff. Jena was chatting to their customers and Sierra was ringing up their purchases. It looked like everyone was going for the Rollo t-shirts. When she stepped in behind the booth, everyone's eyes lit up and they started asking her to sign something. She had a special white pen that would work on the black t-shirts, but she also had a bright red one for anyone who didn't want to take away from the darkness of Rollo's aesthetic. 

"Thank you so much," said a girl with big glasses after Norah signed her shirt. "You are awesome!"

"So are you," Norah said as she smiled at the girl. "Enjoy the rest of the convention!"

"I will!"

Norah watched the girl walk away with her friends and felt kind of giddy herself. As the crowd in front of the booth thinned, the adrenaline started to wear off and Norah felt weary. When everyone that wanted something signed was gone, she took a seat in the uncomfortable plastic chairs they were given and tried not to make eye contact with anyone.  

After packing up their booth and saying goodbye to all the new friends they'd made, the three girls went out for an early dinner at a nice café near the convention center.

"I'd say the day was a success," said Sierra as she took a sip of her still water.

"Totally," Jena chimed in. "Did you see all the money we made? It's like enough for a whole six months' supply of chocolate chip cookies."

"That sounds beautiful and all," said Norah. "But I don't think that's something we should spend it on."

"You do with your cut what you want. I'm blowing mine on delicious food stuffs."

Sierra and Norah laughed at Jena's idea and proceeded to toast to the day's success. Norah was happier about how well her panel went and how many autographs she signed. It was nice to make someone else's day and she was glad her comic's fan base were such cool people. She loved seeing them smile after signing their t-shirts and books and even their arms. 

"So when's the next con?" Sierra asked.

"And more importantly," said Jena. "Are you letting us help out again?" 

"It's going to be a while guys. I think the next convention is only in two months and it's right around the time we write midterms. You guys don't have to help out if it's gonna cut into your study time."

"Are you kidding me?" asked Jena. "I'm not missing the opportunity to see crazed Buttons fans in person. You can't keep me away from my people, Doodle. I won't let you."

"Okay, fine. You can help. But don't come crying to me when your mom isn't happy with your C+."

"My mom's never happy with my C+. Your influence won't make any difference."

"My grades are pretty steady though," said Sierra. "My folks won't have a problem with me helping."

"Great. Then you guys will join me again in two months."

"We look forward to it," Sierra said, raising her glass to another toast.

They locked the hotel room behind them and Norah got her laptop from her bag. Jena ducked into their shared bathroom to get ready for bed. Turning on the lamp on the nightstand, Norah wiped underneath both eyes to clear up any makeup smudges then sat down on her bed with her laptop and logged into Skype. It wasn't even a minute before they connected and she was looking at his bright smiling face.

"Hey, Beautiful," Ellis said and despite her exhaustion, she smiled wide.

"Hey," she greeted him, almost sleepily.

"Long day?"

"I guess."

"I'm sorry I couldn't be there."

"Stop saying sorry," she told him. "You have other responsibilities."

"You're my favourite though." Jena came out of the bathroom then and he saw her in the background. "Hey, Jena!"

"Hey, Ellis," she greeted and took a seat on her own bed.

Norah glanced at Jena and saw her damp hair and the packet of cookies in her lap. The woman and cookies... No force on earth could keep them apart for very long. Norah reached back and grabbed one, earning a pretend glare from her.

"How was your day?" she asked Ellis and took a bite of the cookie. It was double chocolate chip. Now she understood Jena's addiction.

"Ugh," he groaned. "I had to sit through a lecture on city infrastructure and the lecturer was the most monotonous person I've heard in my life."

"Wow. Fun. I'm so sorry."

"I survived, luckily." He rubbed his eyes. "Wait, what time is it there?"

"You are literally on the same time as us, Ellis," she told him. "We're in Indiana, not Minnesota. Even if we were there would only be a difference of one hour. You're supposed to be in college. How do you not remember this?"

"It feels like we're world's apart, okay?"

"Well, we're not," she said through a laugh. "Stop being so dramatic."

"I can't," he said. "I miss you too much."

"I miss you too," she told him. "But you'll see me next weekend, Romeo. So chill out."

"One cannot be chill when separated from their love. Our love is a force, a magnet that pulls us beloveds together on the fridge that is life."

"Okay..." she said. "That was kind of terrible. Have you been taking an English lit class or something?"

"Sort of. I've been sneaking into lectures in my free time."

Norah laughed. "You're such a nerd. Sneaking into class when your own's not in session. What will the other students say?"

"Hey, I've made one of my best friends in that class," he told her. "His name is Zay and he has great taste in games. He also always wears a neon green beanie. The guy's a fashion icon on campus."

"Sounds like it. I'm glad you've made friends.

There was a brief moment of quiet, then Ellis smiled.

"Hey, Beautiful?"

"Yeah?"

"I love you."

She shook her head. "I love you too, you weirdo."