Year 7

YEAR SEVEN 

RIVERDALE
MIDDLE SCHOOL

ONE YEAR OF MIDDLE SCHOOL had come and gone. And she'd admit that it was the best year of her life. She didn't expect it to, but she felt more freedom, she felt more mature. She also didn't expect Archie Andrews either, they were great friends. Like they were a part of each other's lives from the start. Like they were destined to meet. But that was last year, this year was different to say the least.  

She found herself walking down the halls once more, this time confidently. All the nerves gone, she grew into her own person. A person full of confidence and comfortable in her own skin. Opposed to the pants and shirt she wore last year. This year swapping out the pants and t-shirts she chose  a classic red and black flannel open and cinched at the waist. Underneath a white sweetheart tank and a pair of black ripped skinny jeans. At least it was comfortable, she said to herself but she knew that she should've swapped out the pants for shorts.

But what could be done? She already walked out of the house, but she knew that she'd sacrifice her 'health' for the fashion. Besides she's not going to be a walking kebab when she walks into the school, they had the air conditioners on during the beginning of the year and at the end of the year as well. But nonetheless she regretted nothing, especially her choice in clothing. She continued walking down the hall when she felt a slight bump at her back and a low thud sounding behind her. She turned around and spotted the red hair before she looked down at him lying on the floor.

The corner of her lip twitched, "How the tables have turned." She said, watching as he lifted his head up. Their eyes locked, she watched as his eyes widened, her eyes slipped down to his mouth and caught the corner of his mouth turning up.

"Indeed," he said. "So.. are you going to help me up?" Planting his hands behind him, leaning back casually.

She tore her eyes away from his mouth and took a step towards him, cheeks flushed as the realization came over her. She was staring at his mouth longer than she should've. "Should I?" She said cheekily, hoping to cover her embarrassment. What was going on with her? 

His gaze went towards the floor. "Well it would help, but I could just get up myself."

She smiled devilishly. "That sounds like a great idea." She turned on her heel teasingly when she heard him speak once more.

"Thanks for your help Lodge, nice to know I could always count on you." His voice dripping with sarcasm.

She turned around and placed her hand on her heart and said in fake hurt. "Oh, you wound me Andrews."

He smiled as he picked himself off of the floor and walked towards her. "Nice to see that you didn't change."

"Were you hoping otherwise?" She said as he came by her side, and continued walking down the hall with him.

"Not a chance." He said, smile softening as he looked down at her.

"Do you know what homeroom you have?" She asked looking straight ahead, not making eye contact with him. Her cheeks were still flushed and she was embarrassed that she lingered at his mouth. His mouth.

"111, it's a social studies class so I'll mostly just be on my phone during secondary and HR." His lingering on her face before he turned his head suddenly. She looked up at the sudden movement and caught the faint blush traveling up his neck. Her eyes widened, he was blushing, why?

"I think I have a social studies room too," but it's 116, which is like at the end of the hall." She said hoping to ease the tension she felt in her chest.