Twenty Four

Toni's POV

This hospital is starting to drive me insane. Staring at the same four walls everyday never gets easier, although it's still much better than a rotting old cabin in the middle of nowhere. I have hope here- hope that perhaps my life would get a little better from here on. Joaquin was discharged a few days ago, since his injuries were lighter than mine, leaving me with no one to talk to unless Pea or Fangs came for visiting hours.

"Miss Topaz." The nurse that's been checking me since the surgery arrived. I just nodded my head for her to continue. "You're going to be discharged later on tonight. We need you to sign these papers." She handed me over the forms that I've been waiting to see for 10 whole days.

"There's also another piece of paper under that. It's a referral for a therapist, the doctors believe it's best that you get mental help after your trauma. I believe you already agreed to this?" She questioned. "I did. I can't keep pretending that everything's okay. It's not." She shot me a sad smile as I handed the clipboard back to her, having retrieved the referral from the back of it.

"What time would you estimate that I'll be discharged?" I asked quickly before she left the room. "It should be around 9pm. Would you like us to make arrangements for your transport?" She smiled. I just shook my head and she left with a 'very well'.

X

I picked up my phone as fast as I could, hoping that one of my friends could get me. The last thing I need is to get into a grimy ass cab when I've just been released from hospital. I pressed on Fangs' name first, but there was no answer. I then pressed on Sweetpea's name, there was no answer there either.

I went through every single serpent in my contacts that could give me a ride, but there was no answer from any of them. I wasn't ready to force myself to get a ride home from some stranger though, so I hovered my thumb over Cheryl's name.

Something in me snapped and I gained a slight amount of courage, pressing hastily on the call button and listening to the ringing. It only rang around 3 times before there was an answer.

"Hey Cheryl." I whispered. "Hi Toni what's up?" Came back in a monotone voice. I sulked a little that she was so dry with me. "Is there any chance you could get me from the hospital later? I've called all of the serpents and they aren't picking up." I sighed. There was a pause for a moment until I heard a swift "no" and with that she hung up on me.

I groaned and fell back on to the bed in frustration. There really wasn't many people left that I could ask. My next bet was Veronica, surely she'd be nice enough right? I couldn't listen to another dial tone tonight so I decided to shoot her a text instead.

X

Veronica. L
11 May 2018 8:30pm

Toni
hey veronica

Veronica. L
hey toni what's up?

Toni
is there any chance you could give me a ride?

Toni
i'm getting discharged at 9 and no one will pick me up

Veronica. L
of course! i'll be there in 10

Toni
honestly thank you so much

Veronica. L
no worries, see you soon😚

X

I let out a breath of relief at her response. Thank god someone could pick me up at least.