The Orphan Child

Part 1

You lean your head against the car window, My chemical Romance blocking out the shouting of your parents. This was the fourth time that day that they had been at each others throats, they hadn't been the same since they came back from their trip to Peru.

The two of them had decided to go on a trip for their twentieth wedding anniversary, they had been so excited to go away together, just the two of them for the first time in years. When they returned though, their was no happiness or stories of their trip, just a broken marriage and a confused child. They never told you what had happened out there but you were sure you didn't want to know either, occasionally you would hear them talking of a supposed alien attack in Peru during their trip, you would always sigh and wonder why they couldn't just accept the fact they had fallen out of love.

Your mothers faint shouts of, "Pull the fuck over." make their way through your earphones. Your dad slams his hands down on the steering wheel repeatedly, his cussing too quiet for you to hear. You close your eyes and tuck your hands into the pocket of your hoodie, tears silently welling up in your eyes as you remember the time when your parents were in love, when your family was whole, when you didn't look as broken as you felt.

A harsh, shrill scream engulfs your ears, as your body is jerked forward and slammed back into the window as the car is swerved off of the road. Dark spots fill your vision, the ringing in your ears grows louder as blood begins to drip from your temple.

With trembling fingers you pull out your earphones and shakily lean forward, your breathing hitches as you see the bodies of your parents. They were bloody and cut, their eyes wide open, still shocked. You fall back against your seat, hand pressed against your mouth to suppress the pained cries trying to break through.

Multiple pairs of heavy footsteps squelch in the marshy ground as they head towards you, your head pounds as you turn towards the sound with a sharp turn of your neck. The march sounded metallic, almost like moving pistons and rough mechanics. Your eyes widen as shadows edge closer to the car wreck, without a second thought you open up the middle seat and crawl through to the boot. You pull the back of the seat back up, sealing yourself into darkness and uncertainty. 

You hold your breath, the heavy footsteps had stopped right outside of the boot. The sound of metal on metal echoes around the woods.

"Upgrades terminated." the voice was robotic, lifeless, void of emotion. The heavy footsteps start back up, going back the way they came.

You let out a sigh of relief and place your head in your hands, oozing blood instantly warming them along with your pain filled tears and ragged breathing. Sobs rack your body as the pent up pain and general sadness clouds your mind, as you shake the rest of your injuries become known. You had fractured a bone in your arm and ribs, the pounding in your head told you that you definitely had a concussion and there were areas where bruising was imminent.

You take a deep breath but wince as your rib makes you regret needing oxygen to live. You push on the seat you entered through, it folds down and you crawl out. Your eyes refuse to look at the bodies of your mutilated parents as you open the car door and stand on legs that weren't ready to be used. Mud sprays up your legs and arms as you fall to your knees, the dirty water burns your cuts, you let out a pained cry. Your fingers curl into fists as you push yourself up from the ground, you use the car to steady yourself before kissing your fingers as placing them on the roof of the car.

Reluctantly you walked away from the car to go and find help, you take one last look at your parents before heading back towards the road you had come off of.

The crash was no accident, whatever killed your parents meant for it to happen. You didn't know why they were killed but you did know that you would spend the rest of you life trying to kill them.