Date Day

That day I didn't have much to do besides football practice and a date. Jackie and I were going out for lunch. She said it would reinvigorate our relationship. I hoped this was exactly what I needed to shake out of my funk. We were just going to Applebee's so it was nothing special. I put on jeans, sneakers, a blue t-shirt, and a leather jacket. I combed through my hair and popped in my contacts. I had my wallet stolen so I have to ask my mom for some money. I had to pick up Jackie at noon.
My car didn't feel the same since someone broke in, but at least they left the keys. Jackie's house was just down the street and it was on the way to Applebee's. I pulled up to her house and she came running out of the house. She was wearing a black skirt with pantyhose, patent leather shoes, jean jacket, and carrying a drawstring bag.
"Hey babe!" She said rolling off her pantyhose. "You know how my parents are." She rolled her eyes, referring to her strict parents.
"Yeah no problem." I smiled at her, and she kissed my cheek.
"I have different shoes in my bag." She slid her church shoes into the bag pulling out a pair of sneakers. "Win the game for me? I'll be cheering you on."
"No promises." I chuckled, everything with her was so easy. She pushed a stray blond hair from her face applying lipstick.
"Even?" She turned to me.
"On point."

Applebee's was crowded for a Saturday, but we still got a booth. They had some type of game playing on the TV, it wasn't our town's team though. We got into the booth and ordered drinks.
"So I was thinking we could do something different next week?" She said looking up from the menu.
"What's wrong with Applebee's?" I said absentmindedly.
"It's just...we come here every week and there's so many other things to do."
I looked up at her, "What'd you have in mind?"
"Next week there's open skating downtown. How 'bout that?" She looked up at me hopefully.
"Sounds perfect." I smiled at her, and she looked away coyly.
Our food came and we started down a conversation about the freshmen on the cheer squad. I pulled out my phone under the table and searched for Bennet Walters on Instagram. I was just curious really, but I found his account anyway; his profile photo was of him and his mom. Damn that's cute. I was shocked by my own thoughts. I wasn't quite sure what I was even looking for, but something told me to keep scrolling. The second picture was him and that cheerleader, Sarah; hugging. Convinced that was what I was looking for, I clicked on her tag, but her account was private. She had a profile picture with her holding a black pug dog. Sarah is a whore name, I told myself, And that dog probably hates her....
"Are you listening to me?" My girlfriend startled me.
"Yes err um....No sorry." I stuttered looking down ashamed.
"I think we need to have a talk." She said solemnly.
"Okay, what do you want to talk about?"
"Not here."
For the rest of the meal and the drive home we sat in silence. She redressed hopped out of the car. I walked her up the path to her door.
"So I can tell you've kind of lost interest.." She started on her front step.
"No I haven'..."
"Yes you have. You ignore me at school, and you spent our whole date on your phone..."
"I'm sor..."
"Don't apologize. You can't help how you feel." She stepped up onto the porch and put her hand on my shoulder. "We had a good run, but it's over now. Really it's alright." She reached up and kissed my cheek. "Some people just aren't meant to be...and whoever she is..." she took my phone from my hand; still open to Sarah's profile, "I hope you're very happy together. I could even set it up if you like?"
"No you don't have to.."
"I want to. I want you to be happy. Even if it's not with me."
I smiled at her, "Are we still going skating?"
She smiled back, "Of course. Just as friends though."
"Friends?" I held out my hand, and she shook it, "Friends." She turned and walked back into the house. I thought I should have felt bad, but I almost had an odd sense of relief. Maybe I really did like Sarah.