Epilogue Pt. 1

Benny's been gone for a few weeks now, and with my burst of closure I can feel the weight subsiding. I still miss him, and think about him all the time, but the memories have gone from sad and suffering to a joyful hue. Things haven't been set right yet though.
I woke up to the sun shining through my window, on time for school. My room became a warm inviting safe space, though it still needed a good clean. Looking around I decided I'd wear jeans and a green button down, Benny always said green matched my eyes. I left my hair floppy and slightly in my face, and settled for glasses over the dreaded contacts; Benny always thought they framed my face nicely. I did a once over in my mirror. I looked different, but at the same time I looked more like myself.
I grabbed my keys from the table and got into my car. I drove by Benny's house, as I have every day possible, just to make sure everything was all right. My windows were open, and the scent of the impending summer was upon us. Benny's house looked like it was waking from the winter, the flowers were growing, and I noticed the shutters had been redone in a tasteful pale blue; Benny's favorite color.
At school I got out of my car locking the door, and walked down the path. There weren't any puddles, and the grass grew green and healthy. The warmth of summer was just starting to bury our northern town. I would have loved to sit out there for hours, but I had another plan. Inside I saw Sarah and Jackie talking by their lockers.
"Last day of school, Jonah, aren't you excited?" Jackie practically squealed hanging onto my arm.
"Yep." I said smiling at her large doe eyes.
"You look good today." Sarah said patting my shoulder.
"Was that a compliment?" I asked incredulously.
"Ugh. Don't expect anymore. Maybe the spirit of Benny possessed me?" She said twirling her hair.
"Or maybe deep down you're really a nice person?" I said messing up her hair.
"If that was true I wouldn't do this!" She said messing up my hair.
"Calm down you two." Sarah said waving her hand. "You said you had some big thing you wanted to announce?"
"Yes I did." I smiled at her, "But it's a surprise."
"J-man, Whats up?" Jack said walking over. We fist bumped quickly. "You said you had an announcement"
"That I do." I said. "And I think Now is as good a time as any."
I stood up on a nearby bench. "Attention everyone!" I called to everyone in the hallway. "I spent most of my high school career trying to be somebody I'm not. But someone very special to me taught me that how people see you isn't as important as who you are, and how short life can be. So I wanted everyone to know... I'm Bi." Everybody looked at me for a moment, then immediately went back to doing what they were doing.
"Wow. Tough crowd. I honestly thought there would be a bigger reaction." I said stepping down off the bench.
"I'm so proud of you!" Jackie said squeezing me into a hug. When I could breathe again Sarah said,
"It doesn't matter how people respond, what matters is how this affects you, and what it means to you."
"I know. Over this year I think I learned it doesn't really matter what other people think of you. What matters is what you, and your friends think." I stopped for a moment. "Jack?"
"It's whatever." Jack said. Then he pulled me into a bro hug.
"And I don't need all the popular people, because I have all of you."
"And you always will!" Jackie said. "GROUP HUG!"
"No." Sarah said as we gestured to her.
"You know you want to." I teased.
"Alright fine. But just this once." She said hugging us all.
Even though it had been a year wrought with hardship and pain, knowing Benny had made it all worth it. He had done what he always wanted to do; he had brought us all together. I still see Sarah to this day, and Jackie too. I lost touch with Jack, and I regret that, but we all now had a bond that tied us close together forever. We had all had the privilege of getting to know Bennet Walters.