Seize the Day

I drove slowly down the street to Benny's house. I wasn't sure what I would do when I got there. I walked up the path and almost knocked then changed my mind. I could see Benny's window with a light on inside. The rain was pouring down sticking my hair to my forehead. I started towards the tree outside his window. I had climbed it a million times as a child, but it was pouring. The spring rain was melting the still present winter snow into a gray mush.
     I started hauling myself up the tree, branch by branch, climbing the slippery wet bark towards the light in the window. When I reached it I tapped slightly. I could see into his neat pale blue room and even him sitting at his little desk. He turned around to the window and nearly jumped out of his skin when he realizes there's a person out there. He walked slowly over to the window grabbing a rolled up paper to whack me with. I started pounding on the window,
     "It's me!" I tell.
      "Jay?" Benny asked swinging the window open and hitting me in the face with it. "Oh, I'm so sorry!" He apologized pulling me into the room, cradling my head. "I mean who bangs on someone's window in the middle of the night?"
"We gotta go." I sat up from his lap quickly.
"What? Where? This late, I'm sure my mother wouldn't..." he began.
"Just do this for me." I took his hand and walked him back to the window.
"Oh no. I can't climb the tree." He protested turning back around.
"Why not?" He looked back at me slowly.
"I'm terrified of heights." He whispered quietly.
"Come on." I picked him up to a barrage of tiny fists on my back. I started towards the tree and climbed down it with a squirming human on my back. It was really a talent. And we started walking down the street.
"I don't like that you did that." He scolded without looking at me. "I told you no."
"I just have something important to show you." We walked the rest of the way in silence.
...............
"Here we are." I gestured out.
"The soccer park?" He asked. "What's so important about the soccer park."
"Only everything. Don't you remember...?" I asked walking over to the swing set. "This is where we met. You were on the swing... oh and I was playing soccer with a couple of boys. And I just had to meet you so I walked up and then it was history."
"Check your memory." He corrected "if I remember correctly you ran up behind me and pushed me off the swing."
"Hey. I was triple dog-dared to. What was I supposed to say. Besides, what happened after?"
"You felt so bad after you came back and sat with me until I stopped crying. Then you threw yourself off the swing so you would have a matching cut on your knee" He said the corners of his mouth playing at a smile.
"That's beautiful. I was a hero." I said beaming in the cold rain.
"Jerk." He taunted laughing a little.
"And then when you stopped crying..." I poked his chest "you said, "I've just decided we'll be best friends forever. Things were so simple then. Why can't it be like that now?"
"Because it can't." He said firmly, his tone souring instantly.
"But why not."
"Because we aren't children anymore. Because you did something bad. Because you dragged me out here after I specifically told you no. Do I need to keep listing reasons?"
"Why do you have to do that. Can't we just have a nice moment?"
"This is nice for you, Jay, but it wasn't very nice for me." He started off down the hill. I grabbed his hand. "No Jay." I pulled him into a kiss. The world stopped around us. I couldn't even feel the rain anymore. I could only feel his warmth. I pulled away slightly letting my forehead rest on his.
"Can you forgive me." I asked, and he looked into my eyes for a moment.
"I...I...I can't." He said pulling away. "Not right now. I just. I need to think." He pulled away and ran back down the hill. I was left standing in the rain like an idiot.

Comment thoughts so I can improve!