Chapter 4

I woke to the sound of birds singing outside my window. The clock read 7:24am. I looked around and thought to myself, "This could be one of the last times I wake up in this room." As hopeful as I was, I knew that I had a very slim chance of finding a family today. I also knew that I was being a little unrealistic. Even if someone did take an interest in me, it would take months for it all to be set up, especially because of my background.

"EVERYONE GET UP AND BE DOWNSTAIRS IN TEN MINUTES!" Emma shouted from the bottom of the stairs. She was nervous for today. She cared for us so much and wanted it to go successfully.

Considering the event wouldn't start until 1pm, I decided to go downstairs in my pyjamas for once and then get in the shower after breakfast. Then my hair would be as freshly washed as possible. I gave it a quick brush, tied my dressing gown around me and slipped on my slippers.

I was the first one down there so for the first time in ages, I got first pick of the cereal and the least burnt croissants. I fixed myself a small bowl of lucky charms (my favourite), grabbed a croissant and sat down on the seat in the corner of the empty room. I could hear Emma rustling about in the office, clearly trying to get forms and other bits and bobs ready for the day ahead.

The peace didn't last long however, as the other children soon started making there way to the kitchen. All of the younger children were wide awake and they had an extra sparkle in their eye. They were all so excited for today and they had a right to be. I was sure at least two of them would find a home, if not more. The oldest children had give up hope all together. Some of them had been here even longer than me, and I thought that was impossible. Days like this was torture for them, watching other people find a family while they didn't stand a chance.

As we were munching away at our breakfast, Emma came in. "Right children, as you all know, today is a very important day. It is a chance for you to find a family." All the smaller ones grinned from ear to ear. I was that hopeful once upon a time. " Now I'm not going to lecture you on how to behave because you should already know. People will start arriving at around 1pm and it will finish at 3pm. If they ask you any questions, you answer politely and truthfully and if they seem interested in you, we will take things from there. Right, now clean up in here and then go and get ready, I want you all looking your best."

Everyone started shuffling about, dumping their bowls in the sink and going to their rooms. I made sure I was up there quick or someone else would get in the shower before me.

I quickly got into the shower and washed my hair and body. When I was out, I wrapped my dressing gown tight around me and made a quick sprint to my room. I dried myself off and picked out my clothes for the day. I dressed myself in one of my best outfits. A black and white checkered collared blouse and a black skater skirt. As it was autumn, I put on some black tights underneath and slipped on my black ankle boots.

I dried my hair and loosely curled it. For makeup, I did my normal daily routine consisting of concealer, foundation, blusher and mascara but added some winged eyeliner and some burgundy lip stain. I stepped back and gave myself a last spritz of hairspray before checking I looked alright. I think I made myself look presentable enough.

I wasn't keen on speaking to new people and that was going to be an issue. I always go bright red and don't know what to say. I stutter and the words don't come out the way I hope they do. While I still had ages until it started, I rehearsed the answers to possible questions in my head. I would keep the answers short and sweet so there was less chance of me messing up. To tell you the truth, I was really nervous. I always am when it comes to events like this.

* Three hours later ~ 11:30am*

*Zoe's POV*
I was so excited for today. Alfie and I were going to an opening day at the local care home to hopefully find a child to adopt. Since I was little I had always wanted to be a mum and when I found out I couldn't have children, I was devastated. But, I wasn't going to give up there. Adopting a child was the next best thing. After discussing it together, we both decided that we wouldn't be able to cope with a younger child due to work and all the travelling we do so a younger teen would be perfect.

I went into our bedroom to wake Alfie up. Typical, still in bed at 11:30am. I jumped on him saying "Good morning sleepy head, get up! You need to hurry up and get ready or we'll be late!"

"Late for what?"

Honestly.

"We're going to the care home today, you know, to find a child?" I said sarcastically.

"Oh yeah" he chuckled. He is so cute. "I'm super excited!"

"Well then go and get a shower and get changed and we won't be late!" I said, before leaving the room and heading downstairs. I got my laptop and opened up Twitter.

"No daily vlog again today guys, all will hopefully be revealed soon😊" I pressed the send button. I knew all of my followers were curious as to what was going on but I wanted them to keep guessing. I also wanted to tell them when our child felt comfortable and settled.

I listened as Alfie hauled himself out of bed. I heard the shower turn on and relaxed a bit. At least we weren't going to be late.