Chapter 8

"Shadowscale, you don't have to follow me everywhere." Firefly grumbled as they flew over the Rainforest. It has been exactly five years since the day he began training with Deathbringer, and in those five years, Shadowscale endured probably the toughest training in his life. Deathbringer showed no mercy, on either him nor Nightshade. At first, he assumed that the training was just going to be bodyguard stuff, and it was for the first year. Then, as soon as the next year came, he started to learn about Deathbringer's darker past, and how to become an assassin. Stealth, shadows, and murder. It was a lot harder than he originally thought it would be, but after two years he was able to become just as good as his father. It took another two to surpass him. The night before, when Shadowscale won eight out of ten matches with his father, Deathbringer said. "Good job, it seems you are ready."

And now here he is, at his sister's side, protecting her from all harm.

"Of course I do." He replied with a smirk. "I am your bodyguard after all."

Firefly rolled her eyes, though the small traces of a smile can be seen on her face. "Come on then, mother's been kept waiting for long enough..."

She angled herself towards the throne room with Shadowscale close behind. He hadn't bothered himself with the prophecy much in these past years, nor by the lack of acknowledgement from other RainWings whenever his sister was around. Though the latter was still of no concern to him, the prophecy was a different matter,  'One must take the shadow's path...' I definitely had done that. So, the first part is done right?

 Seeing his sister older, prettier, and much more mature, the visions became more prevalent and aggressive for a lack of better words. Again, only three possible futures kept coming in loop. Two are bad, one is good, obviously, that means the visions, but what of the next part? 'The missing awakens a darkness within,' what does that mean?

They landed in the throne room and made their way to their parents. "Forgive us for running late Mother, we-"

"No, just come here and sit next to me." Glory hissed, causing the two to scamper to her side. 

"A part of being a bodyguard is also making sure she's at places on time you know." Deathbringer whispered with a grin. Shadowscale just rolled his eye s and replied. "That would have been no issue, IF she'd have listened to me that is."

Deathbringer silently chuckled. "Stubbornness, I blame your mother's side of the family."

"Shhhh! Please! You two are embarrassing me." Glory hissed, though they knew she was just joking they decided to remain silent.

They sat through one boring complaint about missing papayas, another about a stolen flower, one about a sloth-napping which was a little bit more interesting.

"I KNOW Darkmatter ate Fluffy! I mean, JUST LOOK AT HIM!" The first NightWing dragonet exclaimed. "THAT'S THE FACE OF A SLOTH EATER ISN'T IT!!!???"

"Me!?" Darkmatter roared. "I LIKED FLUFFY TOO, HONESTY!!!"

"Yeah," Honesty growled. "You liked her alright, WITH SALT AND PEPPER!"

It took all of Shadowscale and Deathbringer's willpower to not burst out laughing as the two NightWings bickered. Unbeknownst to both that said sloth was hiding on Honesty's back, hidden by her flared wings.

"How long do you think it will take for Honesty to realize Fluffy is on her back?"

"I bet until mother points it out, look at her, she knows!"

Indeed, Glory was staring down at them with an obvious face full of amusement. "I think I can sort this whole situation out without any bloodshed. I too own a sloth my dear Honesty, and will claw out the eyes of any dragon who dares to harm her. However, in your case, it seems unnecessary..."