Chapter 13

Beroida's Girlfriend, Citrine.

Shadowscale took the short time wandering back to the library to reflect on the events of the past few days. His mind was absorbed, something that rarely occurs for the young prince. Minds whispered around him, most of the students too far away for him to fully hear what they though. He periodically felt a strong sense of boredom or excitement here and there, but all and all, it was quite enough for him to hear his own thoughts.

It was so sudden, he thought with a sigh, one second everything was quiet and peaceful, the next, so many kidnappings... I just have to wonder why? How? 

He shook himself from his thoughts when he arrived at the entrance of the library. He felt Peregrine's mind as his voice echoed into the hallway as well as the usual hum of Nightshade's, the timid mind of Beroida, the worried mind of Starflight, the strange mind of Scrollreader, and an equally strange mind that he can only assume was Fatespeaker's. There was also another, one he didn't recognize

Well, here goes nothing... with that thought he entered the room. No one noticed him for a small while, they were too busy talking about the missing dragons. Fatespeaker and Scrollreader where to Starflight's left behind the main desk while Peregrine, Nightshade, Beroida and an unknown SkyWing where in an arc on the opposite side, their backs turned towards Shadowscale. 

"Why would anyone take my sister?" Beroida asked, sobbing as the SkyWing wrapped a delicate wing around the devastated SeaWing. 

"I don't know, neither does the prince." Nightshade replied in her typical, quiet yet fearsome voice, most likely showing no sympathy in her eyes. "Though it seems they are only interested in  those with RainWing blood, who are also a part of another tribe. Mostly NightWing since they are most common, but it seems they took your sister too."

"But why..." Beroida whispered as she curled into the SkyWing.

Shadowscale decided to finally make his presence known. "None of the RainWings here said they've noticed anything suspicious."

Every dragon's head turned in his direction as he spoke causing his heart to give a little jump due to discomfort. "They said they'd spread the word though, see if anyone else has noticed anything unusual."

"Good." Starflight said with a nod. "If anyone has, I will be sure to send them to you, if you plan on staying a while?"

"Yes." Shadowscale said. "We are for a day or two, that should give plenty of time for news to spread, then we must continue."

"I understand." Starflight said with a nod. "Perhaps... perhaps one day you can come here and visit for longer? After this is done... I miss you and I think Peril and Clay would like to meet you. She only heard stories because... you know... firescales?"

Shadowscale nodded, remembering how Clay wouldn't come because he didn't want to leave Peril alone. It made Glory a bit sad, but she understood. "If I had to choose between leaving Deathbringer alone at home because he couldn't help but set things on fire or staying with the dragon I love and making sure he didn't feel lonely, I'd choose the latter in a heartbeat." She'd say when Firefly asked her about why she never insisted.

"Yeah... are they here now?" He asked. Might as well meet them while I am here.

"Yes," Fatespeaker replied this time. "Queen Ruby is here if you didn't know and she brought Prince Cliff! And since Peril is Prince Cliff's personal guard now she is here. So you get to meet them both. when we are done here, would you like me to take you to them?" 

"I need to speak to Queen Coal-"

"She knows." Beroida interrupted. She turned back to Shadowscale with bloodshot, tired eyes as she continued. "I told her when she came here..."

"Well, I still need to speak to her and let her know it's not an isolated incident, that other hybrids have been taken." He said gently. Beroida nodded in understanding and clutched the arm of the SkyWing like she was her life source.

"I apologize, I didn't ask your name." Shadowscale said as he addressed the SkyWing.

"It's alright." She said in a voice nearly as soft as Nightshade's. "My name is Citrine, from the Copper Winglet. I am Beroida's girlfriend."

"Nice to meet you, Cirtine. Have you or Beroida noticed anything before Coy's disappearance?"

"Not me." Citrine said. 

"I... I could have prevented this..." Beroida whispered.

"What?" Shadowscale asked with a note of surprise.

"I... she left the cave that night, said she 'needs to pee,' and I didn't think much of it. The next day she was gone. I thought she went to meet up with Talented in secret but... when we went to our first class and he said he didn't see her either..." Beroida's voice began to waver, she closed her eyes, took a deep breath and whispered. "I miss her so much..."

"So... she must have been taken outside of the school." Peregrine concluded.

"Which would explain why Beroida, Dove and the others are still here." Shadowscale continued. 

"It's all my fault!" Beroida wailed. Citrine wrapped her arms and wings around the distraught dragon and tried to calm her.

"I think you should go, take her somewhere she likes and will help her relax." Shadowscale said to the SkyWing.

"I will, thank you. Please find Coy."

"Don't worry, I will." Shadowscale said as Cirtine lead the dragon out.

"Poor girl..." Starflight sighed.

"Yeah." Fatespeaker said. "Well, I guess-"

"Mom? Can I take Shadowscale to see Queen Coral and Aunt Peril and Uncle Clay?"

Fatespeaker smiled. "Of course my little Star, I'll show Peregrine and Nightshade to their room then."

"Thanks mom!" Scrollreader piped up and turned to Shadowscale. "Come on, the Queens are this way."

And with that said, she bound out of the Library with a reluctant Prince close behind.

Sorry it took a while but it's finally out! Between School and  creators blocks and stress of this COVID-19 outbreak, it's been hard to concentrate on writing and even school work, but I thought it finally time to snap myself into focus and finish this chapter. Idk when the next will be, but hopefully not as long as this one. Thank you for reading!