Chapter 9

Quick colored sketch of Coy. I am running out of new dragons to draw so... yeah lol.

How am I going to get inspired to write anything if all I'm seeing are rocks, more rocks and OH what did you know? MORE ROCKS! Peregrine mentally groused as he paced along his post. Stupid guard duty! What am I watching out for anyways? Trespassing scavengers? WE ARE IN A TIME OF PEACE FOR MOON'S SAKE!

He stopped mid pace and sighed. So much for giving Shadowscale a free copy of my story for his Hatching Day...

He heard the smallest sound of rocks tumbling down a cliff. Peregrine immediately froze in spot, his senses alert. The noise was ever so silent, so quiet that if he wasn't aware, or if there was some sort of noise in the background, he would have missed it. But there was definitely the sound of a dragon prowling about. Click, scraaaaaape, click, scraaaaaaaape! The SkyWing whipped his head towards the source of the noise and squinted his eyes to see better.

"Sparrow? Wren? Plateau? Simmer? Kindle? Come on, this is not funny! Come out NOW!"

The noise immediately stopped, silence filled the space between him and the unknown dragon, of whom he also still couldn't see. After a while, Peregrine began to doubt that he really heard what he thought he did. I might just be spooking myself-

Scraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaape!

"I SAID COME OUT!" He roared as he grabbed his spear and pointed it towards the source.

A shadow began to dart towards him, he was prepared to attack when it came into the light. It was coming closer, and closer, he tightened his talons around his spear... It was a scavenger, with a smaller spear, obviously made by scavengers for scavengers. 

Click, scraaaape! Was the noise it made as it used it as a walking stick and scrapped it on the ground as if it where exhausted. Peregrine sighed, a little deflated and feeling like he was cheated out of an exciting night.

Just a scavenger... *sigh* when will something exciting happen? He thought, throwing his spear to the ground and flopping to the floor. The scavenger stopped and stared at him like he had just spoken to it in it's scavengery language. "Yeah, what do you want? Scram before I eat you."

Not like I really want to... He thought as he eyed it. It just continued to stare at him, and he it. I wonder... is it a he or a she? I think I heard from someone that if it has longer fur on it's head and no facial fur, it's female...

He studied it for a long while. It had long fur indeed, long red fur and none on it's face. She had pale skin that reminded him of a macadamia nut, and bright emerald eyes that even he could see despite her being so small. She wore a metal armor over her chest, arms, hands, legs, and feet. She held a helmet looking thing under her arm, a round shield on her back and a spear in her right paw. She stared at him in awe, either like she's never seen a dragon before, or like she's never seen a dragon who didn't just out right attack her before. As if deciding he was no threat, she plopped down and began to slightly shiver.

"Are you cold?" He asked her. She jolted and glanced up, as if afraid he'd bite her head off. He sighed and slowly rose. He pointed at her then grabbed his shoulders and mimicked her shivers. He didn't expect her to understand him, so it surprised him when she nodded her head after a while. He then glanced around him, picking up some dried twigs and stacking them in a small pile, then placing the rest aside, then gently blew a small flame on it and ignited the twigs. She eagerly moved closer to the fire with her hands held out before her. He moved away slowly as to not frighten her, but she noticed him anyways. She squeaked at him and waved her hands, as if trying to get his attention. He turned back to her and frowned. "What? I'm busy guarding nothing."