don't play the odds, play the man

CHAPTER THREE

"You should be kissed — and often — and by someone who knows how

"You should be kissed — and often — and by someone who knows how."
— Rhett Butler | from „Gone with the Wind"

•••

He was not her boyfriend. On the other hand, he wasn't just a friend either.
Instead, their relationship was elastic, stretching between those two extremes depending on who else was around, how much either of them had to drink, and other varying factors.

This was exactly what she wanted, as commitments had never really been her thing.
And it wasn't like it was hard, either. The only trick was never giving more than you were willing to lose.

„V-Day...if you need this one day in a year to show everyone else you truly care for "your loved one" I think it's quite stupid. I hate this commercialism. It's all artificial, and has nothing to do with real love - big love - or whatever."
She crumpled the pink slip of paper in her hand and put it in her bag.

„Why'd you always have to be so pessimistic? Spread Love." Hannah giggled beside Lara and held her own Dollar Valentine paper in her left hand.

„The only good thing is that it's a charity event." One arm surprisingly wrapped around Lara's shoulders and pulled her close.

„Jeff Atkins! Look at this man!" She pulled him tightly into a hug and stayed in this position for a few seconds. The smell of "Olympea" - on his jacket - running through her nose. It was her favorite perfume on him.

„Why aren't you two dating?" Hannah folded her arms with a grin and watched them with admiration. She always thought that Jeff Atkins and Lara Lane would be a perfect couple.

„Hannah.. - please.." Lara shrugged her shoulders and was about to go to her locker with Jeff and Hannah when she was thrown to the floor by a student.
„You fucking ass! Can't you see where you're going?"

„Fuck, I'm sorry!" He held out his hand to her but she slapped it away and hissed; "Save it."

„What do you think you're doing? Be more careful next time. I don't want do bandage you up, dude." Jeff's husky voice warned and he was standing inches away from Montgomery.

After what felt like an eternity, Montgomery nodded and took a few steps back. „Got it, Atkins." He didn't want to mess with anyone who was bigger, older and stronger.

But only one glance in the direction of the girl with the lovely, rich dark hair was enough for Montgomery. That's when it happened. From that moment on Montgomery de la Cruz began to develop an interest in the Lane girl.

"Drink at my place tonight?" Bryce patted Montgomery on the shoulder and leaned against the wall behind him.

„-actually had plans." He shrugged his shoulders, didn't paid him much attention.

"Why are you so busy lately?" Bryce grinned dirty and pushed himself off the wall. „ You fuck a girl behind my back? I'm disappointed, motherfucker."

Immediately after that, Lara walked through the doors of Liberty High. Her long brown hair hung lightly wavy over her shoulders. Her tight black clothes, leather jacket and high heels made her look so much older and more mature than most girls at this school. Montgomery's attention went straight to the brown-haired girl.

"The mystery girl." Bryce Walker looked at her hungrily.

„She's out of your league." Montgomery laughed slightly and wanted to prevent Bryce from getting even the slightest interest in the Lane girl. Even though they were just friends - or better called fuck buddys - he felt drawn to Lara but he didn't want to admit it.

"And yours especially. Girls like that like rich boys who give her a good time."

Montgomery clenched his fists tightly.
He knew himself that he was neither rich nor a particularly good boy. And that's what made him so cold.
He thought of himself that he was a piece of shit.

[©-ljohnsonbooks]