the night we met

CHAPTER THIRTEEN

„I don't know what I'm supposed to doHaunted by the ghost of you

Haunted by the ghost of you."
- Lord Huron | song „the night we met"

•••

Her heart felt heavy in her chest, as if in mere seconds it would sink to the ground below as realization hits her. This was the moment she has been waiting for - sharing her story with someone. „Thank you for your time." Lara told Tony as the two of them walked side-by-side along the streets of Crestmont. It was Sunday - the day after she and Tony's little „meeting" at Monet's.

„Course", Tony responded, draping an arm across her shoulders and pulling her into his side. Though it was Spring, the weather still seemed to retain Winter's ever-present chill. As a result, the two of them hunkered down into their jackets to avoid the wind's cold breeze and walked briskly from street to street. „Like I said, I want to help you," Tony continued, smiling at her. „Sides, this got me out of work for a few hours so really I should be the one thanking you."

Smiling small, Lara snuggled closer into his side. „I hope I didn't make you get up too early.."

„Maybe a little.. five hours of sleep would have been great.." Tony tried to joke, though the mirth fell flat as he spoke his next words. „But in all honestly, I want to be there for you. After what happened to Hannah.." Tony Padilla shook his head. „We should all be there for each other."

„I wish I could hug her one last time and tell her I love her." Lara sighed.

As it slowly got darker and darker and the wind fresher, Lara and Tony decided to make themselves comfortable - in his red Mustang - on the hills above the city.

„If you want to, you can tell me now... if you're not ready, just say so." Tony spun around in his car seat so that he could look directly at her. Perking up at the topic - Lara leaned back, eyes down to her hands. „I'm ready.." She murmured.

„So.. I - I.. had a.." Lara tried to think of an appropriate word. „-a miscarriage."

Tony shot her a shocked look. „I lo- lost the baby on the 17th July 2017, it was not healthy enough to manage his life alone. A h-heart defect - according to the doctors." Lara stuttered weakly, her voice sounding hoarse and scratchy to even her own ears.

A silent beat passed until Tony suddenly scrambled to sit upright. „Oh my - Lara! I am so, so sorry. I didn't know this happened to you. If I had known, I never would have..." He was cut off by a warm hand above his.