hands to myself

CHAPTER EIGHT

We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be

- Kurt Vonnegut | from ‚Mother Night"

•••

The last days were an ordeal for Lara.

It felt as if after the small argument with Sherri, all eyes were curiously directed at her.
Clay Jensen, Alex Standall, Zach Dempsey and even Jessica Davis sought contact with her.

- They knew each other, but were never close friends.

Montgomery "moved" out after five days of staying over from the Lane household. They actually only saw each other at school or for sex. Nothing more.

So she sat there in class, glancing over at the clock which showed there was still 5 minutes left.
Her teacher used the last minutes to talk about the exam she were going to have in a couple of days - just the thought of it made Lara sigh.

As soon as the bell rang she picked up her things and got up from her seat with Kira, a student in her class, following closely behind.
"Do you want to come over and study after school?" Kira asked when the two of them stopped at their lockers.

„Yeah sure. I really need to pass this." Lara replied while putting the books she needed inside her bag and the others back into her locker.

Suddenly she felt her phone vibrating in her pocket, Lara took her phone out and checked the screen, a text from Montgomery.

[12:07pm Mont;] How about you reschedule that study session and meet me after school? (;

Moving her gaze from her screen she looked around the hallway trying to find the boy who sent her the text.
Lara's eyes found Monty, leaned against his locker with one hand in his pocket while he had his phone in the other.

"Lara, who're you looking at?"

Montgomery clearly heard that as he looked up from his phone to look at her direction but she quickly looked away. "No one." She smiled innocently at Kira.

"I just remembered I have a thing I have to do after school... Could we meet up later? Around 6 instead?"

"Yeah, of course." Kira smiled sweetly.
With that said Lara's phone buzzed again, another text from Monty.

[12:16pm Mont;] I guess it's me you'll be doing after school, babygirl.

She smirked at the text before locking the screen and putting her phone back in the pocket. After gathering all her things, she said goodbye to Kira who was going to wait for her boyfriend, then exited the school building.

After making a quick little visit at home, Lara were on her way to Monty's place.
Thank God his parents weren't home for a few days.

She pulled up on his driveway, turned the engine off then stepped out of the car and made her way to the front door.