past hurts - the unknown boy

CHAPTER SIX

There are only two ways to live your life

There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.
- Albert Einstein | from „goodreads"

•••

"Why's there a pregnancy test in the trash?" the unknown boy inquires, twiddling his fingers nervously.

"Why are you going through my trash?" she blinks in surprise. She was not aware that he had recently taken up the hobby of dumpster diving. Specifically dumpster diving within her own home.

"I accidentally threw something away. I had to dig it out," he explains.
"You're an idiot," she sighs.

"Apparently you procreated with one, too," he says.
"Well, I was gonna wait until dinner to tell you, which is why I wanted to go out tonight, but... I'm pregnant."

"Really?", he beams, getting off the couch to embrace her, "You're really pregnant?"

"Yes..?" She was surprised that he didn't get mad.

He catches her in a hug, pressing a sweet kiss to her lips, then her nose, then her forehead. „I mean, we're too young, but we can do it. Somehow I'm excited!"

"I know," she grabs his face between her palms, "this is happening."

"My girl is having a baby. My baby," he whispers, his eyes tearing up.

"You're going to be such an amazing father..",she whispers back, smiling so wide her cheeks are sure to ache later.

"And you're going to be the absolute best mother. I hope the baby has your eyes," he laughs, pressing his forehead against his secret girlfriend.

She giggles, leaning up to kiss him again. He tightens his grip around her waist, pushing them as close together as humanely possible.

"I hope the baby has your heart," she whispers against his lips.

•••

After the strange incident between Montgomery and Tommy, Lara was delighted to finally leave school for today

"What secret does Hannah talk about on the tapes? What did you do to her?" Clay appeared behind Lara as she got out of her car that she had parked in her driveway.

"Really? You follow me home? It's none of your business, Jensen." She scanned his face and she recognised the pain in his eyes as it mirrored her own.

She knew she should talk to him, say something to him- anything.
But she couldn't, she couldn't face him.

„I just want to know what happened to her."

"Nothing bad happened between me and Hannah!" She snapped at Clay and looked at him like she was about to eat him.
"Mind your own fucking business."

"Jesus Christ, I am trying to talk to you in a calm way Lane!" He blurted out, running out of the patience he had in store.

"No one ever said that you should pry over my problems, right?" She shot him a death glare. "No one will ever understand .. not my mum, not my dad, neither will you!"

"But why was it so important to her -"

„Lara honey, are you coming? Food's ready." Surprised, Lara turned towards her house and saw her mum standing in the front door.

"MOM! You're home!" She grinned over both ears and made her way to her house before turning around once more. "Leave me alone! Stay out of my life, Clay!" And with these words she left him alone in the driveway and walked up to her mom.

„I am glad to see you. You were gone so long." She pulled her mother into a firm embrace and was happy to inhale the well-known scent of her mother.

"How was your business trip?" She threw her bag on the floor and wiped her shoes off.

„Like every time. Exhausting. Boring.. uhmm.. and boring again." Her mother laughed and took the food out of the oven and put it on the dining table a little later.

„I missed you. Three weeks without good food." She grinned cheekily and tied her hair into a ponytail.

"That's all? What a good daughter I have." She sat down at the table and poured herself a glass of water.
„Was that Clay Jensen in our driveway?"

„Uh, yeah, Clay, we have a school project together, and, well - yeah.." She shoved the fork into her mouth and wanted to rent the eye contact with her mother.

„School project... uh-huh, okay."

After a few seconds of silence, both heard a loud, dull thud coming from Lara's room.
"What was that?" Her mother opened her eyes in panic and got up from her chair immediately.

Stuttering, Lara tried to calm her mother.
„ I... ehmm... I forgot to close my door and Jacky has... probably knocked something over again. He does this every time. Thanks for dinner mom, why don't you unpack your suitcase?"

She disappeared from the dining room and ran up the stairs to her room. She opened her door and found a sly grinning Montgomery.

„My mom almost caught you! Idiot!"

[©-ljohnsonbooks]