sweet, sweet baby | pt. 2

PART TWO

„Every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future

„Every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future."
- Oscar Wilde | from „Wisdom Quotes"

•••

Lara awoke in the morning to a voicemail notification blinking obnoxiously on her phone screen. She lifted her frame up into a seated position, resting her fatigued spine against the headboard of her bed, and took the phone between her hands. 2 missed calls. 1 voicemail message. 12:36 am. It read.

She pressed play.

Hey - uhm," the husky voice of Montgomery de la Cruz crooned down the line. „It's Monty," he paused, awkwardly. „I was just calling because I heard nothing from you since, well - you know.. the day at school." He cleared his throat. „So I wanted to check in and see how you're doing. I didn't see you at school on Friday.. Are you sick, maybe? Are you not doing well? By the way - I didn't know you were that good with Clay Jensen, he asked me about you. Strange how he knows I "know" you.." He paused again, sighing, and swallowed the thickness in his throat. „Anyway I - I worried about you, so just give me a call if you're up for it.." his voice trailed off faintly. „Or, you know, don't," he added. „If you're not. Okay.. bye." Then the line went silent.

[©-ljohnsonbooks]