Chapter 4: Training

Nina held her breath and knocked on Hunter's door. Silence. She knocked again.

"I'm busy," Hunter's voice sounded through the little intercom on the side of the door.

"Hunter, it's me, please I need to talk to you," she tried again.

"I'm busy," he repeated.

"I just need to clear things out," she said, sucking in a deep breath. "I'm sorry. Actually, I'm really, really, really sorry. It was a dumb move and I'm sorry if you got the wrong idea, but it was just a move to distract you in order to flip you over. I know better now and I won't do it again. I just don't want things to be awkward between us and we'll keep things one hundred percent professional. I was so foolish... I'm sorry."

She felt like she was drowning.

Silence again. Nina frowned realizing he wasn't going to respond and head back to her room.

There was a knock on her door. Her heart leaped out of her, a glimmer of hope. The door opened and Nina's heart sunk.

"Hey Kitty, dinner's ready," said Doc, popping his head through the door.

"I'm not hungry," she mumbled. "Can you turn off the lights I'm tired."

"Are you okay? Do you feel sick?" he asked, his brows furrowed in worry.

"No, I'm just sleepy. I'll see you tomorrow."

***

Someone blew a whistle again this morning.

A smile broke out on Nina's face. Hunter had forgave her!

"Up and at 'em pumpkin! Today I'm training you! Get ready for a world of pain!" Wolf said.

Nina frowned realizing the whistle came from Wolf. So Hunter was avoiding her now, great.

"What happened to Hunter?" she asked.

"Oh the gang is going on a mission so I'm staying back and helping you train," he grinned.

"Don't they need your help?" she raised a brow.

"No, this is a simple task, they only call in the big guns for the serious missions," he smirked, flexing his arms.

Nina laughed. "Okay, get out so I can change."

"You sure you don't want me to stay?" Wolf winked.

"Out!" Nina pushed him out the door.

***

Wolf let Nina watch the team get ready for the mission. She noticed how everyone was dressing accordingly. Selecting weapons. Shadow had a map projected onto a screen as Hunter explained the procedure.

"So cool!" shrieked Nina, feeling like a child in a toy store. She didn't let the frustration of not having Hunter look at her distract from the excitement.

Wolf hushed her. "I only let you get a sneak peak. Now lets get going before we both get in trouble."

Nina and Wolf repeated the same things Hunter did. She had started to get better at some of the moves. Wolf showed her some new ones too.

"Hey, you're actually not that bad! A fast learner, that's so good. I don't know what Hunter was pissed off at, you're amazing for a beginner," said Wolf during their lunch break.

Nina cringed at the mention of Hunter's name.

"Thanks."

"Soon enough you'll be on one of our missions," he winked.