11

Going out with Colin and her old classmates wasn't a bad idea.

It was just a bit awkward, but it was nice...for the most part. They asked her about university and South Bend, and they revisited old times in high school—most of which Andy wasn't a part of, but she listened and laughed along.

After about two hours, they wrapped it up, and Colin insisted to drive her home instead of booking an Uber. Andy agreed.

When they arrive back at her house, they say their goodbyes. Andy thanks him for the ride and steps in the front door, feeling the exhaustion creep all over her body.

She's ready to shower and go to bed, but her father stops her before she steps on the stairs. "So. How was it with Farrow?"

Andy shrugs. "Um. It was fine. We were with our old classmates, too."

He clears his throat. "He drove you home."

Andy blinks. "Yes, he did."

"He's a good kid. I know his father."

"...yes, Dad. I know that. You've been friends with him for years."

"Maybe," her father starts awkwardly, placing one hand on the railing and the other on his hip. He doesn't meet her eyes. "Maybe, you know. Before you go back to South Bend. You can. See. Him. Again. Just the two of you."

Andy's face scrunches. "Dad, no. Are you trying to set me up on a date with him? I have a boyfriend."

Her dad scowls as he turns to leave. "Boyfriend," he spits in disgust. "Whatever. Whoever he is, Farrow's better for you."

Andy can't help but laugh as she runs up the stairs. "You haven't met Rhysand yet, Dad. You'll change your mind."

She doesn't wait to hear his response before she's heading to her room to freshen up.

She's been texting Rhysand updates since the moment her dad dropped her off at Winslow's. When she's ready for bed, she sees another text from him. Come back to South Bend now.

Andy grins. Sorry about Colin. He offered :D

No you're not.

I'm home safe tho :D

Go to bed.

Andy laughs.

And the rest of the days before she has to leave pass by freely, and when she's packing her bags for South Bend, her dad watches her. Leans against the doorway with his arms crossed. He grumbles, "Call me when you're back at the dorms."

"Yes, Dad," Andy says with a wide smile, zipping her suitcase. "Don't worry. You'll have plenty of desserts here while I'm gone."

He presses his lips into a thin line. "I'm just concerned. About this...guy you're seeing."

"Dad. Seriously."

"Does he live alone? Do you stay over?"

Andy decides to spare him the details. Just a tiny bit. "He has a roommate. And you don't have to be worried, Dad! Trust me. I know what I'm doing, and Rhysand's a good guy."

He huffs. "I'll decide that for myself when I meet him. That better be soon."

Andy plucks out the tiny envelope buried at the bottom of her bag and steps closer to her father. "Yeah, Pops, I got it. Here."

"What's this?"

She shoves the envelope into his hands and moves back around to her suitcase. "Just a little treat."