13

Jenner asks her for help with gift-shopping one Friday after school, and Andy agrees.

As soon as they meet at the mall, Andy hugs him with one arm, and Jenner says, "So I know it's very hard to pick out a gift for the grumpy old man, and trust me, it's incredibly troublesome without help. I tried for a beer belly fanny pack, and he wasn't amused. Oh, and the year before that, I gave him onion goggles for when he's cooking. Isn't that useful? He threw it away—that ungrateful bastard."

Andy stares at him. "Wait, who are we shopping for?"

Jenner stares at her, too. They both stop in their tracks. "I just said that we're shopping for a grumpy old man. And an ungrateful bastard. Clearly, that's your boyfriend."

Andy gasps and grips his arm, her eyes wide. "Rhysand?"

"Do you have any other boyfriends?"

"Rhysand's birthday is coming up?" Andy squeaks, covering her mouth with her hands. "I didn't know that! What do I get him? When is it, do I have time?"

"No, you're supposed to be helping me!" Jenner whines, shaking her shoulders. "I don't want to see him throw away another of my precious gifts!"

"No, help me," Andy protests, "I'm the girlfriend!"

"And I'm his best friend! You don't even know when his actual birthday is!"

"Oh my God, you're right," Andy breathes, running a hand through her hair. "I'm awful. Oh, jeepers."

Jenner links their arms together. "Okay. Calm down. We'll help each other, alright? Let's go around and check out some stores and see if we can find anything."

Andy takes a deep breath and nods. "Okay. Let's go."

They walk for hours—and Jenner's horrible suggestions don't help—before they find the perfect gifts for Rhysand. Jenner agrees to hide them in his room when they get home until his actual birthday rolls around.

And Andy's a little sad that Rhysand never mentioned it. Maybe he just doesn't like making a big deal out of birthdays, and honestly, that's just...so Rhysand of him. Still, she feels bad. Like she should've known.

So that night, as she's working on her homework beside him on his bed, and he's lying flat on his back, laptop on his lap, she rips off his earphones and asks, "September 25?"

Rhysand raises an eyebrow. "What?"

"Is your birthday on September 25?" she repeats, twisting her torso around to face him with a pout on her lips. "September 30? October 1...?"

Her boyfriend gives her a look. "Sanford."

"It's a big deal! It's your birthday!" Andy exclaims, taking the laptop away from his lap and scooting closer to him. "It's important! You know how awful I felt not knowing that it was coming up? That I don't know when it actually is?"

Rhysand shakes his head. "You shouldn't feel bad."

"But I do. And I want to know when it is."

He stares at her. "You're not going to let this go, are you?"

It's not a question. Andy smiles. "No."

"Fine," he gives in, raising his palms up. "I'll tell you. As long as you promise not to get anything for me."

Andy frowns. "That's not fair. I want to give you something."

"And I'm saying you don't have to."

"What about this? I promise not to throw you a huge party. Deal?"

Rhysand doesn't look impressed. "You were planning on throwing me a party?"