18

Andy's fingers shake as she lowers the candle. "Is it in the center? Jenner, is it in the center?"

An exasperated sigh. "Yes, Andy, Jesus, just stick the damn candle in. Rhysand doesn't care."

"I do!" Andy huffs, bending her knees more just so she's in eye level with the spot in the cake where the candle's about to stick in. She inhales deeply and lowers it again.

As soon as it makes contact with the frosting, Andy pulls back with a groan. "I can't do it."

"Fucking—" Jenner stalks forward and snatches the candle.

Andy's eyes widen. "Jenner, no—!"

He ignores her and thrusts the '5' candle next to the '2'.

Andy sighs and walks backward, bending again on her knees to check the candles' positions. "Okay, it's kind of in the center. But can you make the '5' more upright—yeah, there. Yay!" She claps her hands together and stands up. "Never do that again," she warns her friend with narrowed eyes.

Jenner scoffs and crosses his arms. "You were overthinking it. Seriously, Rhysand won't care."

She pouts. "I know. I just wanted it to be perfect."

Jenner doesn't even need to ask why. He brings out a lighter and tilts his chin at the cake. "You want me to light it up now? We have about two minutes left."

Andy nods excitedly and turns around. "I'll get the gifts."

Rhysand is sitting on his computer when the two of them come up and carefully open the door to the studio, and Andy almost wants to roll her eyes—she knows that Rhysand himself has forgotten his own birthday. With a pointed nod from Jenner, a signal that the clock hit twelve, Andy sings, "Happy birthday to you! Happy birthday to you! Happy birthday, happy birthday, happy birthday to you!"

Rhysand takes off his headphones and swings around the chair to face them. "Thank you," he murmurs, running a hand through his hair. "Can I go back to work now?"

"No!" Andy yells incredulously, reaching over the monitor to turn it off. "No work today. At all."

Jenner shoves the cake into Rhysand's hands. "Make a wish, brother."

Rhysand glances at the cake on his lap, and then at Andy. "It's just like any other day."

"It's your birthday," she reasons quietly. "And the first I spend with you."

Rhysand's face softens. "Okay."

"I'm still here, guys," Jenner reminds them loudly. "Make the damn wish."

The birthday boy (or, man) clears his throat and closes his eyes. After a few seconds, he opens them again and blows out the candles.

Andy claps excitedly. "Yay! Okay, present time. Jenner, go first."

"Oh, here we go," Rhysand mutters, setting the cake down on the table with a sigh.

"That's offending," Jenner tells him, taking his gift from Andy's hands and tossing it in Rhysand's direction. He catches the box easily. "You better use them this time."

Andy grins. "Open it!"

Rhysand shakes his head at her excitement and pulls the ribbon. Inside the box is a brand new wallet sitting on top of a large, black hoodie. Rhysand looks at Jenner.

"I had help," his roommate explained with a wink.

"Lucky for me, then," Rhysand answers, walking over to him to give him that bro-to-bro hug. "Thanks, man."