Ch. 11

Richie trudged home with both his friends after the football tryouts that took place that night, dragging his pained feet slowly behind him like a toddler going into time out.

  "Cmon, Rich, you did good", Stan reassured him with a small smile, bumping his shoulder into the taller boy sulking beside him.

  In all honesty, he didn't think he got any spot on the team. Sure, he'd been playing for years, and he was good, but compared to the other boys trying out for quarter back? He had no chance.

  "Did you see the dudes that try'd out?", Richie questioned, bringing his hands up just for his pads to clunk at his sides when they dropped back down.

  Stanley scoffed and rolled his eyes at the raven haired boys statement. "Of course we did. You think anyone else can throw over 40 yards like you do? Did you see the look on coach's face when you threw that pass to Bill?"

  "Y-yeah, rich. You have the arm of a canon", Bill told him with a small laugh, looking up at Richie with a small shake of his head.

  The late summer sunset hung above them as they headed back to their respected dwellings. The warm air dropped some as the night grew later, and now the three stood in front of the Denbrough household with cool air blowing through their sweaty hair.

  "See you tomorrow, billiam"

  Bill looked over his shoulder and smiled a grateful one, calling out, "see you tomorrow, too, trashmouth"

  Richie nodded at the familiar nickname his friends adopted him to, then turned on his heels to follow Stanley back down the block, as the Jewish boy's house was another road up.

  The Uris's fine, small brick house was another couple houses ahead. The two left of the trio ventured two, three, four houses up before the noodle headed jock bounded you the familiar creaky wooden staircase.

  Stanley's head whipped around like the wind nipping at his cheeks, offering a small smile to the Tozier boy at the end of the driveway.

  "See you t'morrow, Rich", he said with a smile as bright as the Star of David shimmering in the window against the early night sun.

  "See you, Stan. I'll get you the results tomorrow. Or text you. I don't know"

  Stanley smiled and shook his head lightly, shutting the door swiftly after bidding his final goodbye to Richie.

The sky darkened into a dark cerulean blue, making the street lights illuminate the small puddles on the road that Richie walked into.

Humming the song Ophelia, his Chuck Taylor's thudded against them stairs that lead into his house.

"Hello?", he called out into the seemingly empty house. He obviously didn't notice the car that sat in the driveway, the dark blues blending together.

  "Hey, Richie!", his mother called out to him from the kitchen. His features softened a tad, walking in to find his mother and sister preparing dinner for the three of them that night.

  His dad didn't live with them anymore, since he was about 11 or so, because of the divorce that split up his parents. His dad was kind of an asshole, if he had to admit.

"Can you please set the table, hun?"

Rich nodded with a smile forming and grabbed the stack of china plates from the wooden cupboard. With a ear shrieking slam of the cabinet door, the plates and cups Richie gathered balanced not so carefully in his arms.

  "What was that?!", his mother, alarmed, asked.

  "Uh, oops.."

  Richie looked at the shattered glass that lay in front of his feet. After a small scolding and a hit upside the head, he finally finished setting the table.

  As the silverware clunked against the plates, the static of the tv rung through their ears.

  "So, rich?"
  "uh huh..?"
  "How was football?"

  'Wow' he thought. That was probably the only time his mother actually asked about sports. She always was so worried about him to even ask.

  "Honestly..? I'm not sure if i made it" he admitted with an upsetting sigh.

  His sister looked absolutely shocked. "Dude. Are you serious. Those guys stand no chance against you.  I saw them rich. They can barely throw a damn ball. You're just too hard on yourself"

  He shrugged it off not wanting to think about it. But maybe Will was right. Maybe he did have a chance. He was going to give himself a headache if he kept thinking about it.

  "Well, why don't you guys go clean up for school tomorrow and i'll clean up dinner?"

  His eyes began dropping as he nodded his head, and trudged to the shower. Sweat stung his eyes as he scrubbed his face and hair.

  "Ah, fuck"

  Soap began stinging his eyes worse as he was washing his body, so he finally hopped out to examine his bloodshot eyes.

  "Whatever. I'm calling it quits", he murmured as he threw on a t-shirt and boxers.

  Then just like that, his mop of Raven hair hit the pillow and warm summer air blew in his room as he slowly fell asleep.

A/N
oh well. sorry for the 6 month wait:) this doesn't really make up for it but i'm really busy and all.