Part 5

Rhaenyra's fingers spread against her stomach resting the urge to itch her stretching skin. She pushed her furs lower to examine its roundness. She lifted her nightdress slowly, smiling slightly. Her babe was growing, a blessing. 

She sat up, leaning against the carved headboard. Her violet eyes gazed across the room, focusing on the sun that peeked through the curtains. Rhaenyra sighed as she gently pressed her head back into the wood of the headboard. She turned slightly to see Grey Wind nestled on the stone floor beside her. The dire wolf stretched comfortably as if noticing her attention. He did not share the anxiousness she had.  Rhaenyra's heart quickened as she began to dread the start of the day.

The Stark army had resided in Riverrun for nearly three months, longer than any expected. Few had left, following their King on a brief journey to the Vale. Robb had left a month ago. Rhaenyra was desperate to see him and their children. It was her suggestion to negotiate with his aunt. Her persistence caused him to leave with their sons, they were to be his security in his moderation. She hated herself for the suggestion. Robb's overly vague letters about the negative outcomes made her even most upset.

Rhaenyra pulled the furs back as a loud knock erupted through the room. She sighed as Bella's voice followed. The maid entered, quickly disrupting her morning by placing breakfast on the bed and rushing to open the curtains. "Good morning your grace." Her voice was overly enthusiastic, Rhaenyra despised it. "How are you feeling?"

"Like a bloated goat. Or as if I am-"

"The size of a pregnant giant. Yes, Lady Stark told me. She also said to deny it." Her blue eyes fell to Rhaenyra's belly, "But I cannot lie."

Rhaenyra gasped, throwing a pillow in her direction. "You're awful." She laughed as Bella began to tidy up the room. "I enjoy your honesty."

The maid smiled, offering her a full cup of tea. Rhaenyra frowned for she found the drink to constantly taste of hot water having no flavor to its taste. Grey Wind growled lowly as Bella inched closer, Rhaenyra giggled watching her face whiten. "You are not only my queen but my friend." She nodded her head respectfully before turning to address the sizzling fireplace. The fire within simmered away over the night. "Your brother and his grace have sent word of their endeavors."

Rhaenyra stood, quickly placing her teacup on the discarded tray of food. She hopped over Grey Wind to the desk in the furthest corner of the room. "Why did you not tell me? That should have been the first words that feel from your mouth." She pushed the excessive letters in search of the still scrolled notes. Her eyes landed on the grey wax that clasped her husband's letter. "Who has read it?"

Bella picked at the waking fire with a poker, not turning to her queen. "Lady Stark and the Blackfish." Rhaenyra nodded before pushing the seal away.

Robb described the state of his aunt, she was a tragic widow who fawned over her sickly child. Her state was a prompt refusal to join their cause, which was expected. But Robb's hope was further diminished as she provided one Knight of the Vale. He then went on to the writing of the men he collected on their journey back to Riverrun, nine hundred strong. Not enough to take the Rock.  Rhaenyra smiled as Robb lovingly wrote of their sons, Domeric enjoying the attention of the bannermen and Henry seeming to enjoy his first name day celebration. Her heart broke for not being there.

She dropped the letter onto the desk. Her violet eyes closed as she gripped its edges. Rhaenyra then searched for her brother's scroll, she smirked. It was easy to find the red flayed man that sealed the note tightly. She slides it off to slowly read her brother's scratchy writing.

Ramsay summarized his torture of Theon Greyjoy, the Iron Island heir was down three fingers and a few toes. She smiled proudly, continuing down over the other acts he had performed on the North's enemy. Her eyes widened as Ramsay began to describe his most recent act of torment. Rhaenyra read it over and over, thinking it not true. She rose a had to her lips as her brother then wrote how he threatened the Iron Born with his treatment of their heir.

Rhaenyra stood silent as Bella began to ready her for the day. She made no comment as her maid twisted her hair into a Southern-style.  Bella insisted her Queen should honor Southern traditions, Rhaenyra ignored her justification.

"Stop moving!" Bella whined as she attempted to add another pin into Rhaenyra's hair.

Rhaenyra continued to jerk her head, "You dare scream at your queen? I am offended!" She placed a hand to her cheek before bursting into a fit of laughter. Her arm reached behind, searching for her crown. Bella gently pushed her forward, shoving the headpiece into her hands. Rhaenyra scowled playfully and started to twist the crown in her hands. Her fingers bumped against the gemstones in attempts to turn the focus from the pulls against her scalp.

Bella continued to twist and yank Rhaenyra's dark hair. She occasionally would laugh with every wince. Rhaenyra rolled her eyes with each giggle. She placed her crown on the bed beside her as Bella placed more pins into her hair. Her eyes turned to Grey Wind who curiously watched, seeming to join in Bella's humor.

The maid gestured toward the crown, "May I?" Rhaenyra lifted it gently. Bella pulled it from her grasp, standing before her to place it properly against her head. "You look like a proper Southern beauty!" Rhaenyra stood from the bed, walking to the dresser to look into the looking glass above it.

She was right, a Southern woman looked back. Rhaenyra rested her hands against her abdomen to ease her breathing. Her thoughts caused her heart to race, she closed her eyes as she moved to lean against the furniture. "You will never do my hair like this again."

"Your grace," Bella began to interrupt. Rhaenyra's violet eyes burned back.

"Cersei Lannister wears her hair like this." Bella's shoulders fell in defeat as Rhaenyra began to pull the pins out of her hair. "I'm sorry."