Part 7

Rhaenyra walked through the silent sept, feeling ever more of an outsider in the flowery South. Each step echoed greatly throughout the silent building. Her eyes glanced over the seven walls as she attempted to identify each of the unfamiliar gods. 

In Winterfell, Robb spoke fondly of the religion his mother practiced. He would delve into the names and purposes of each, even leaving to pray to them on a few occasions. Rhaenyra never joined. But there she was, the wolf stalking through the red-bricked sept. 

The marble statues of the gods looked down on here with their frozen eyes. She felt their hatred as she inched deeper and deeper into their place. The scent of incense and candles filled the air, tapestries lined the walls proudly displaying the sigil for the light of the seven. Stained glass gave the grave room a rainbow tint, but the glare of the gods did not cease. 

Rhaenyra bent to her knees in the center of the room, looking toward the seven-pointed star that graced the ceiling. Her hands rested against her shifting womb readying to pray to these odd beings. 

Her family was of the South, some. These were the protectors of the South, she begged for their blessings. Rhaenyra's eyes closed as she offered the gods her first prayers. She prayed for her family's safety, for the war to end, everything she deemed important. With each prayer came both a sense of unwelcome and a sense of betrayal to her own gods. Rhaenyra sighed, rising from her knees in a struggle. 

She turned to face each of the Seven. Her violet eyes went to the candles that laid under their feet. Slowly, she walked to the closest. The candles were set against a table, their wax falling over its edge upon the bricked floor. Rhaenyra lifted her hand to tickle the flames as she always did. Her child kicked against her as the flames failed to burn her palm. Reluctantly she pulled her hand away to rest against her belly, trying to ease her shifting babe. 

She prayed it was a girl, a princess. Secretly, of course. Rhaenyra loved her sons but having a girl to dote upon would be lovely. She had grown with brothers, their care and adoration was too pure. Sometimes. So, she wished for a daughter for her own sons to watch over. 

But a son, a son would be a Northern prince. He would bring pride to the Stark family. A strong bannerman for his brother. She would be proud either way. 

Rhaenyra pressed her hand once more to her belly as the babe shifted. "And what name shall we give you? Bethany? Lyanna?" No movement, she rolled her eyes. "You were fond of offering opinions the other day but now," her voice faded. "How about Eddard?" She laughed as the child seemed to refuse to move.  

"Laughing in a sept?" Came a booming voice. Rhaenyra turned quickly to see her husband standing at the entrance to the room. Her hands fell from her belly as she lifted her skirts to quickly run toward him. He embraced her and her heavy impact against him. Robb nestled his cheek against the crown of her head. "I've missed you."

"You and our sons have been gone for months." Her voice was mumbled against his tunic, but her soothing tone was a welcomed sound to his ears. 

He pulled away from her, looking down at her grown abdomen. His hand rubbed against it, hers rested atop his. Rhaenyra moved her hand to rest against his face, smiling at the scratch of his beard. She stood on the tip of her boots to place her lips upon his. Robb eagerly kissed back, happy to be in the loving presence of his wife. "I am so glad to be here." 

"I am yours once more." 

"You've always been mine." Rhaenyra's heart swelled as Robb kissed her as her hand reached for his messy curls as she deepened the kiss. "I am yours," his lips moved to her neck. She shifted it further away allowing him to trail toward her collar bones. "And you are mine." Robb's blue eyes found hers, she giggled lightly as he pressed his forehead upon her own. "Until the end of my days." 

Rhaenyra smiled, "Until the end of my days." She pushed her fingers through his hair, bringing his head to rest against the crook of her neck. His arms wrapped around her waist as he lazily fell into her. It was a contentful moment for the two. 

Robb smiled against her skin, pressing a gentle kiss to her neck before leaving her arms. He wrapped his hand around hers to lead her toward the door of the sept. Rhaenyra intertwined their fingers as they exited the cold house of worship. 

The misty air greeted the two as they stepped outside. Rhaenyra quickly admired the green that surrounded them, how it contrasted against the sandstones of the keep and the grey of the sky. Her hand was suddenly pulled while her eyes lingered on the continuous hills. She turned to Robb who gestured toward a tree that lingered feet away. His hand fell from hers as he walked toward the white-barked tree. It was a weirwood. 

Rhaenyra felt a sense of familiarity at the sight of the crying face. It was poetic to see the King in the North nestled against the trunk, the tree of the Old Gods. She placed her hand against his shoulder to sit beside him, the other held her stomach as she eased herself down. Robb wrapped his arm over her shoulder before speaking, "I want a few moments with you before we face the rest." 

Her hand rested against lovingly against his thigh. "Remember when we met," he offered her a low hum in response. "Jon shoved you forward to greet me. You looked so terrified to even shake my hand," she gave a small laugh. "Your hands were so sweaty." 

"I was nervous." Robb huffed a laugh, "My father warned me of my betrothal a week before your arrival. I saw you on your horse, those eyes made me evermore anxious." He lifted his free hand, gently pushing her face to look toward him. "I fell for those eyes first." A light blush fell over her cheeks as he continued to glance over her violet eyes. "Then the way you carried yourself. You walked into my home as if you'd lived there for a hundred years." Rhaenyra smiled at his comment. "When I saw you walk toward me, ready to promise yourself to me in front of your family and the gods. I knew I loved you. I knew I was willing to be yours." His hand fell from her face, he turned to look at the keep before them. "I feel deeper and deeper into the pit we call love every day." 

"I love you." Robb turned as if wanting her to continue the reasons for their attraction. Rhaenyra giggled, "My love for you, did not hit me as it did you. I found myself needing you as I do now. I could not and cannot bear being away from you." She lifted his arm from around her shoulders to grip his hand. "I love how respectful you are, how honorable. How you would willingly die for me. Gods forbid." Rhaenyra lifted her hand to twist her fingers through his hair, "But I love your eyes, your jaw, your hair. I adore your curls. They're just as wild as you. They can never be contained like the wolf blood that runs through you." She turned his face toward her, "But I love your heart. The expanse of it forever amazes me.