Part 9

The awkward silence of the Lord's solar was incredibly thick, along with the tension that continued to rise with the passing minutes. Two Frey men sat across the King and Queen in the North, dark scowls etching on their faces. Their eyes would shift to the queen's belly, clearly large with child. They did not attempt to hide their hate each time they looked over. Robb and Rhaenyra were joined by their advisors, bound in blood and honor. Edmure and Bryden Tully. 

Rhaenyra rubbed her hands against her stomach, returning the Frey's hatred. She sat taller in her seat attempting to appear more intimidating to the vile men. "You're ride? Was it decent?" Her voice dripped in insincerity, "And your lord father, is he well?" 

The older of the two tilted his head as he answered, "There is no need for formalities, your grace." Rhaenyra looked him over as he spoke, noticing the sigil of House Frey on his tunic. The Twins had been manipulated to suit a bastard, a red line crossing over the towers. She pushed from her seat, having a need to stretch her sore legs. Her swelled ankles ached as she walked from the table. The bluntness of the Frey giving her a need for air, she stood beside the opened windows. The crudeness their presence emanated caused a great pressure against her. Rhaenyra placed her hand against the cool stone that separated the open arches. 

Robb's eyes shifted to her, she nodded slightly for him to speak. He held his hands atop the table, shoulders tensing. " Thank you for riding here so quickly. I know travel isn't easy in these times." The Frey men across turned to one another, cautiously choosing their words. 

"The roads are crawling with cutthroats and bandits," said Black Walder.  He rose his chin as he continued, his voice lowering into an almost whisper. "But when the King of the North summons us, we come." He opened his arms, gesturing towards him and his brother's obedience. 

His brother Lothar spoke up, his face deadpan. " Our father has instructed us to tell you that his alliance with the North can continue." Rhaenyra's heart speed in hope at his words. She thanked the gods for Lord Frey's consideration. "If his terms are met," the hope shattered. 

Rhaenyra watched as he spoke, he was clearly unamused. She brought her hand to her chest, rubbing her fingers against the cool dire wolf broach at the center of her dress. "What are his terms?" Lothar nearly sneered as she spoke, he refused to meet her gaze. His eyes continued to rest on Robb, finding the Queen to lack the authority her husband bore. 

"Lord Frey requires a formal apology for your violation of your sacred oath of betrothal between our two families." The room eerily fell silent, none wanting to disagree with the terms brought upon the North.  

"My father married his granddaughter," Rhaenyra's voice came as a whisper that echoed throughout the solar. "That further solidified our families did it not?" 

"Yes, your father. A small Northern lord compared to what was offered. He was promised your heir, making a Frey woman the next Queen in the North," said Black Walder. Her gut tightened at the way he spoke of her child. Rhaenyra's disdain etched into her face, a gloom evident upon her features. She walked to the table to stand beside her husband, her hand rested against his shoulder waiting for him to speak. 

His shoulder tensed under her touch. "Of course. I was in the wrong for breaking the engagements. He deserves a proper apology." Robb's tone was cold despite his attempts at seeming open to the negotiations. He had to grovel in front of a withering man, weakening his credibility as a strong king. 

Black Walder coughed, "As restitution for this betrayal, he demands Harrenhal and all its attendant lands." Rhaenyra removed her hand from Robb's shoulder.  She returned to her place by the pillar as anger enveloped her. Her eyes gazed upon the expanse of the Riverlands rather than the Frey men. 

Robb agreed to their terms, "It is his once the war is over and we have no further strategic need for it."  

"And there's something else." 

" We will do whatever we can to give Lord Frey what he needs." 

"Not what, whom," sung Walder. Rhaenyra turned to see all eyes upon Edmure. He gazed down at his nails picking at the dirt beneath his nails in boredom. Clearly he found the negotiations boring and unworthy of his time. 

 Rhaenyra could not help but bellow out a laugh. Her hands rested against her stomach as humor took over, her eyes never leaving the oblivious Tully. "Out of all loyal men we have." Rhaenyra joked. 

"He is our liege lord," argued Lothar. 

"I'm sorry," said Edmure finally picking his head up from his hand. His eyes filled with confusion as he looked around the table. He turned to see his Queen pressing her hand to her mouth to hold in giggles. "No," his voice dragged in desperation and refusal, apparently he had heard their discussions. 

Lothar nodded, " Our father requires Lord Edmure to wed one of his daughters, Roslin." 

Vanity and pride overtook Edmure, "How old is she? Can I see her first?" He was not ignorant when it came to Frey woman, they were infamous for their looks that mirrored the men that sat before them. None were notably beautiful. Edmure shuttered at the thought of taking one for a bride. 

"You want to count her teeth? We depart for the Twins in the morning. We need an answer before we leave and a wedding no more than a fortnight thereafter or this alliance is at an end." 

Lord Brynden, who sat quietly at the edge of the table began to laugh lowly. "Your father does realize we're in the middle of a war?" 

" Father is old. It will put his heart at peace if he could see her wed to a good husband." 

Black Walder turned to Rhaenyra as he aided in his brother's argument. "And his recent experience has made him wary. He wishes to have all his daughters married before summer ends." 

Robb gently tapped his fist against the table, "He has every right to be. Please excuse us while we discuss it." The two Frey men slowly hobbled out, leaving the King and Queen along with their family. Robb rose to stand beside his wife, he eagerly reached for her hand. He sighed as he intertwined his fingers to ease his nerves. 

Rhaenyra kissed the back of his hand before turning to Edmure. His face bright red in anger, fist were clenched against the table as he sat like a tempered child in their seat. "Why should I let that old ferret choose my bride for me? I am his liege lord!" His shouts echoed throughout the room. Rhaenyra rolled her eyes, dropping her hand from Robb's to stand before her good uncle. 

She crouched to his eye level, "You forget Robb and I were an arranged marriage. You will learn to love her." She stood tall once more a hand pressed against Edmure's shoulder. She dug her nails slightly into his tunic out of annoyance. "Lord Frey is a proud man and we have wounded him." She removed her hand and returned to her husband. Robb's eyes were clouded in thought as he leaned against the window's pane looking toward the continuous hills of the Riverlands. The blue in his eyes mimicked the roaring storm clouds that rolled onto the land. 

"I didn't wound him. My answer is no."

"You're stubbornness will be the death of us Edmure." Rhaenyra snapped, her violet eyes turning dark. "If you refuse, our alliance with the Frey's is dead!" Her voice rose, Edmure's strong head igniting the fire of her rage. The Blackfish agreed with her anger, offering a chuckle as Edmure cowered further into his seat. Bryden stood from his cornered chair to roughly smack the back of his nephew's head. 

He muttered, "I'll offer you my fist if you do not agree, my Lord." Brynden smiled to Rhaenyra, shifting around the table to leave as he did. At the sound of the door closing, Robb began to speak. 

"Uncle I beg if you do not marry this woman we will lose this war." Robb's voice was strained as he spoke, his hand shook as he laid it against his sword. "You're willing to risk our freedom and our lives for a chance at a prettier wife?" He walked to his uncle, "I have a war to fight. We can't win it without them. I have no time to haggle. If we don't do this and do it now, we're lost." 

Once again all eyes fell on Edmure, "I'll marry her."