Part 8

Riverrun's great hall was lively, music echoed off the walls along with shouts of the crude Northmen that filled it. It was a needed celebration, despite its reasons. Roose Bolton was married once more, to Walda Frey. Both sat silently beside each other in the center of the hall.  No one questioned the oddness of the union merely enjoying the merriment in the stressful time with a horn of ale. 

At the high table sat their King, who struggled to feed his youngest son shredded cheese. The young prince shook his head at the sight of food, crying a small refusal as it neared him. Robb shook his head at his stubbornness. He noticed how his son grew ever more headstrong during their time away. The one-year-old grew fond of crying over small instances, Robb thanked the gods Henry was not crying at the cheese he offered.  His eyes wandered over the noisy room finally catching sight of his Queen and heir. The two danced humorously together, sharing laughter and a smile. 

Rhaenyra threw her head back in laughter as Domeric pressed his palm against hers. My funny child, she thought. The young prince attempted to follow her movements to the calm beat of the song. His face was strong in concentration as he eagerly watched her feet. Rhaenyra placed her hand high, out of his reach. Domeric jumped eagerly to grasp his mother's hand but appeared surprised as she turned him in his spot. 

"Again!" She smiled, placing her hand at the same height for him to jump. Rhaenyra laughed as she turned him, quicker this time. Domeric fell dramatically against her, she quickly opened her arms to catch him. He shared a smile before pushing himself away and sprinting into the horde of Bannermen. Rhaenyra shook her head and retreated back to the comfort of the high table. 

Robb sat with Henry in his lap, the baby held his father's crown in his hands. "So curious." She said before pulling him toward her. Henry dropped the crown against the table to focus his attention on his mother. "Do you fancy a crown?" His grey eyes shifted to the tiara that sat against her head, his chubby finger pointed to it. "Now come on you must eat." He rested against her rounded belly, watching as she began to tear bread for him. Robb hid a smile behind his hand as he watched the two. 

"How do you feel about your new mother?" Robb gestured to the young woman who smiled gently to Domeric, Roose held him proudly. Clearly displaying the pride of House Bolton to his young bride. 

Rhaenyra's eyes rose, "She has warm eyes. I see hope in them." She lifted a piece of bread for her child to grab. "I hope my father treats her kindly." Her eyes fell once more as the young Walda caressed Domeric's face. She was the only Frey present, her own father refused to attend out of hatred for the Northern monarchs. Rhaenyra sadness for the girl continued to grow. "You do know if they have a son, Henry will no longer be my father's heir."

Robb nodded, "I know."

"He is doing this simply to break his ties slowly. The only loyalty he has for you, the only thing that will bind the Bolton into a submissive place with the Stark's is me." Rhaenyra leaned into her high backed chair. "Domeric is your heir, Henry was his. He will have another child to replace me and he'll be gone." Robb reached for her hand, she refused his touch by reaching for another piece of bread. "I can say I am relieved." 

Robb watched as her face quickly brightened, he turned to see Domeric running toward their table. His curls bounced with each step, Robb smiled. He rose a hand for his son to join his side, Domeric hopped on to the platform and ran to his father. His small hands gripped the arm of the chair as he rose to whisper into Robb's ear. "Father." He laughed, pushing his hands against his mouth before continuing. Robb placed a hand on his back to ease the child's humor. "Grandfather said there is to be another ceremony." More giggles interrupted, "Involving a bed." He clearly did not know what the ceremony entailed, his humor most likely coming from the thought of his grandfather sleeping so early.  

Rhaenyra sighed in her seat, leaning behind Robb's chair to call for Domeric. The child followed and sat on his constantly emptied seat beside her. The entire hall silenced as Robb rose in his seat, the songs stopped mid tune along with the shouts of the Northmen. His eyes gave a false scowl, a smile fighting to grace his lips. "Lord Bolton," his father by law rose across the room. "Lady Walda," the young girl nodded respectfully to her king. "I ask the gods, old and new, to bless you and your marriage. You have served me well Lord Bolton, I am proud to call you my good father. Congratulations," he lifted his emptied goblet from the table to raise in honor of the couple. Rhaenyra followed, eyes never leaving her father. The Northmen's roars filled the hall once more in celebration only to be silenced by the king's hand. "Now, what is a wedding without the bedding." The roars returned, the high born Lord's rushed to the table. Each lifted Lady Walda high above them, some starting to tear at her wedding gown. 

Rhaenyra sighed as the Lord's exited the hall, leaving her father to slowly walk toward their table. "Father." She spoke coldly, her arms protectively wrapped around the eating Henry. 

"Your grace, your grace." Robb fell back into his seat, waiting for Roose to continue. "I am honored by your blessings. But I must say I did not come to humbly speak to my King and Queen." His eyes laid on Rhaenyra, who struggled to sit strongly in her chair. She looked back with the same burning stare and disdain in her gaze. 

"Go on," Robb said as he noticed his wife's unease. 

"If I can speak alone with my child," he was interrupted. 

"No," Rhaenyra and Robb spoke simultaneously. 

Roose smiled, "Fine. I was simply going to discuss the meeting with the Freys that will occur soon. My wife is a Frey, I offer leverage to the situation. That is all, goodnight." He turned to walk, leaving the monarch's alone in the hall. 

Rhaenyra's shoulders fell watching him leave. She gave a shattered breath before searching for Robb's hand. "Don't let him into the meeting."