Part 6

Rhaenyra lifted her skirts as she quickly walked the Lord's study with Grey Wind. Her heavy breathing matched the large dire wolf's huffs. She was meant to meet with the small folk, taking on her husband's duties as he returned to Riverrun. She sighed at the sight of the guard at the study's door. The necessity for one seeming extreme. She hid a smile as she watched his eyes grow wide at either the sight of her or the large wolf at her side. The man shook slightly as he opened the door, trying to bow respectfully to her as she entered. Grey Wind eagerly followed obviously frightening the poor fellow. 

The Blackfish stood proudly against the fireplace, elbow leaning against its mantle. He nodded to Rhaenyra as she walked through. Her eyes met Catelyn's immediately, her shoulder's fell in ease at the sight of her good mother. Rhaenyra lovingly touched her as she moved to sit in the high back chair that seemed to arrogantly center the room. She fell into the seat, her hands moving to soothe her babe shifting in her belly. Catelyn smirked at the sight and moved forward to speak. She was interrupted by her uncle Brynden. 

"I did not properly congratulate you on your pregnancy, your grace." 

Rhaenyra tilted her head, "Thank you, my lord." She called for Grey Wind, he fell to her feet under the obnoxious desk. "What business do we have today?"

Catelyn's gaze fell to the floor, "Your father has arrived." Rhaenyra reclined in her seat, she did not want to see him. "Without the Kingslayer." 

She stood from her seat, "I did hope to meet with some people of Riverrun." Her head rested against her heavily jeweled fist. Roose Bolton's proximity annoying her as the seconds ticked by. "Send him in." The Blackfish left hastily with her words, leaving her alone with her good mother. "Before he disrupts us. How are you?" 

"I am well." Catelyn breathed deeply before continuing. Her blue eyes shifted to the stone floor, "It has been a year." 

"I know. We have won every battle," she closed her eyes as she did not find comfort in her own comment. Rhaenyra brought a hand to her belly once more as she attempted to ease her nerves. "But we are losing the war." 

Catelyn shook her head. "We are not. The Lannisters only have their cunning. We have a strategy that pushes through it, they are blinded by their own manipulation." She moved to stand beside her queen, her daughter in all but blood. 

Rhaenyra looked curiously to her stomach, "Brute does not win wars. Deceit does." She felt Grey Wind rise from his spot on the floor to gently place his head against her lap. She giggled, pulling his ears with her hands. "The Lannisters have nearly the entirety of Westeros at their call with Renly dead. How foolish for the realm to think them the true rulers? How can they be so blind to see the children who stalk through the Red Keep are pure lion, no Stag blood runs through their veins." 

"Each house bowed to the dragons. Now they are dead, squabbling over the throne without them."

Rhaenyra turned abruptly, "You are not suggesting bowing to the dragon queen." Catelyn shook her head, she held her hands together wishing to continue but was interrupted by a deep hiss. "He is moving." Rhaenyra laughed lightly, "Both my sons did not move so early. He is a special prince." 

Catelyn laughed with her, "He is not even born yet and already he has opinions." 

The two were interrupted by the door banging open, Rhaenyra rolled her eyes as she returned to nestle in her chair. Her violet eyes followed each man that trecked into the room, recognizing each with ease. She lifted her hand to her mouth to stifle a yawn, dealing with her father clearly deeming boring. She lifted an eyebrow as she noticed the fresh blood that restained the clothes of the bannermen. One courteously introduced her father. Lord Roose Bolton of the Dreadfort, father to her grace Queen Rhaenyra Stark. She rolled her eyes and gave the man a look of equal extravagance to her father's new claimed title.  

Rhaenyra scoffed, "Father." Roose Bolton stood with his familiar arrogance and security. His blue eyes settled on his Queen and daughter. 

He bowed deeply, "My queen."

"Why are you here?" Rhaenrya sat straighter as her father rose. "You were to be with my husband. Not here." His men laughed at her words, only silencing with a cold look from their Lord. Or perhaps it was sight of the large wolf that warmed their queen's feet.

Her father curtly nodded to the door, the men filed out. "I met briefly with his grace at Herranhal. He debriefed me on all matters. I insisted I journey here, seeing as your heavy with child." His eyes lingered on her stomach. Rhaenyra pushed her hands away to rest on her chair's arms. 

"Why are you here?" Her violet eyes burned into his. Grey Wind softly growled as her anger began to rise. He moved from his spot beneath the desk to stand tall beside her, mirroring the pride Catelyn held on her other shoulder. 

Her father smirked, "I am to marry." Catelyn turned shocked to Rhaenyra who returned the same emotion. Roose simply crossed his arms as he continued to speak,"Lord Frey has promised me a bride, her dowery in her weight. I am glad to say I have a fat young bride." 

Catelyn spoke, "Are we to attend?" 

"My daughter, the queen is all I ask. No prisoners."

"Do not speak to her that way. She is no longer a prisoner under my command. We will be at your wedding father." Grey Wind's teeth flared ever so slightly as she spoke. Rhaenyra stood, pushing herself against the desk. "Lady Stark is my advisor. All the other Lord's save for the Blackfish have gone to aide their King. I wish I could say the same for my loving father." 

"Yes Rhaenyra, they do miss me in the war camp your husband commands. With all the whores and filth," his eyes met hers, knowing each word stung his daughter. "But under your husband's rule even at the brothel of a camp, there are no bastards nannying your children, and none hoping to be the Queen's lady in waiting like there is here."

"Bastard?" Rhaenyra questioned. Her eyes adverted from her father to her hand that lightly shook, she clutched it tightly. "You speak ill of my maid, why?" 

"She was raised to be a whore. She probably is, how do you know she does not offer herself to your husband every night whilst you sleep?" She could hear the cockiness in his voice. Her stomach churned at his lies. The very lies that caused her to fall victim to his words. "I know you try to be a good wife, Rhaenyra. Just don't be surprised when the King comes home with another Snow for you to raise. Our families are fond of collecting them." He had not spoken to her this way in years. The horrid feeling of sadness crept into her heart, the same feeling that always made her feel worthless and useless in her father's eyes. 

"Your grace," Catelyn spoke softly, noticing Rhaenyra's head lowering into its once submissive stance. 

"Pardon?"

"She is no longer simply Rhaenyra. She is your grace, even if she is your child she ranks higher than you. Now, please leave Lord Bolton." She wrapped her arms around the numbing queen, bringing her gently into an embrace.