Chapter Five: School Lockdown

The sound of low, hushed voices is what helps to free me from the darkness's hold. I open my tired eyes only to close them again from the light. Why is it so bright? I try to open them again. With a few blinks, I successfully keep them open this time. I look around to only to see a white curtain closed around me. Where am I? From the curtain, I look and see a machine next to me. The ones you see in a hospital. Am I in a hospital? I follow the wires and tube to see it's hooked to my arm. Panic fills my chest as I start pulling them off. Next thing I know, strong arms are pulling my hands away.

          "Restrain her!" I hear someone yell.

          "No! Let me go!" I yell as I try to get free. It's then I feel the prick and look to see a nurse has given me a shot. I try to say something, anything. The drug she gave me is too strong though. I feel myself slipping under again. They're murmuring or their voices are getting further away. All I can make out is what sounds like a poor girl and traumatized. What?

          The second time I come to, the overhead lights in the room are off. The room is dimly lit by a lamp or the hallway light. I can't see which one due to my curtain still being closed on that side. I go to sit up only to realize that I can't move my hands. I jiggle them as I start to feel that panic comes back. Why am I restrained? I jiggle them again harder this time despite knowing it's not going to do anything. It's when I hear the door click open that I stop moving them. I try to say hello but my throat is too dry. It just cracks and comes out like a whimper. I'm blinded when the lights are flick back on. I blink repeatedly until they adjust only to focus on the nurse in front of me.

          "Oh sweetie, you're finally awake!" She comes closer to me with a glass of water. "Here this will help with your throat. Small sips though, you'll regret it if you drink to fast," She warns me.

          Instead of listening to her, I greedily chug the water. The coolness rushing down my throat feels amazing. It's when I take that last swallow that it goes down wrong leading me to a coughing fit.

           "See sweetie, I told you," She says as she takes the water away.

          "Sorry," I whisper between coughs while I try to gather my thoughts. My head feels so groggy that I can't focus on anything.

          "I'm going to do a few tests since you're awake, okay honey," She tells me. "After that, I'll get you some food. You must be starving."

          "Okay?" I say with a bit of question in my voice. I'm still a bit out of it. "What time is it?"

          "It's a quarter to seven." She tells me as while looking at her watch. 

          Twelve hours! I've been out for twelve hours. The nurse starts doing her tests either obvious or not paying attention to my shock. She goes through asking me a few questions like my name, age, and today's date. She then checks my vitals and writes everything down on her clipboard. "Oh, I almost forgot, your brother and sister were here earlier. We'll call to let them know you're awake along with the police," She says before leaving.

          I lay back on the bed with my mind racing. What brother and sister? Why are the police coming? It's then the memories coming rushing back. I remember going to Kara's dorm room and finding her roommate instead. No, wait, I found her roommate dead. She's dead. My breathing quickens as I remember the message on the wall. Someone found out. Someone knows my secret.

          No one comes to my room that night except the nurses. I didn't see the nice nurse again after she took my vitals. The ones I did see didn't speak or look at me. I felt completely alone as I sat on my bed; my thoughts going every which way. Due to this, I could not sleep a wink.