Chapter Eight: Winter Break

How does one determine their luck? Is it the same thing as karma, or is someone just graced with it? However, it's done, I messed it up badly. I either did something terrible in a past life, or I severely pissed off someone upstairs. All I know is I have horrendous luck and the police seem to agree. Then again my luck must not be too horrible since they got here before my attacker hurt me. I sigh as I look over at the police car. In the back seat, eerie Erin sits. He's staring at me with this huge smile on his face that looks rather painful. How can someone's cheeks spread that far? Isn't it painful for him?

         "Ms. Evans?" I snap out of my thoughts and look over to Detective Summers. He just happened to be on call when the police got the information that it was my apartment being broken into, so he rode over with them.

         "Sorry detective, what did you say?" I ask him as a police officer walks over to us.

          "I was saying the police need your statement. Do you want to do it here or at the police station?" He repeats the question for me.

          "Here please, I just want to get this over with. I have a lot to clean inside and take care of if I'm allowed to," I say as I look from him to the officer.

          "You should be able to once they finish but Officer Gomez will be taking over from here," He tells me before walking away.

          "Hello Ms. Evans, I'm Officer Gomez as Detective Summers already informed you. I'm just going to ask you a few questions, okay," She tells me with a polite smile.

          "Okay," I reply as I run a hand through my hair.

          "Then let's begin," She says while taking her notebook out, "Starting from the beginning, what happened here." 

          I then proceed to tell her what happened. I tell her how I arrived home to see my front door wide open. How I went in inside and saw the mess. Which lead to me immediately calling them, when I discovered someone was in there with me. I explain how he came at me while I was on the phone with them, and how I managed to just barely dodge his charge. "He tried to grab me which is why I swung the knife at him. I'm surprised it didn't hit him. After that, he went to grab me when you guys busted in and told us to freeze. I dropped the weapon as you guys instructed and then watched you guys tase him as he tried to run," I finish telling her.

          "And you have no idea why he was here or how he got in?" She asks me.

          "No ma'am, I always lock my door when I leave and my house is always locked tight too," I answer her. "Officer Gomez, will I be allowed to go back inside?" I ask her since I've never gone through this kind of thing.

          "Yes, you can go back once we're finished here. I would also recommend that you change your locks especially since we didn't see any sign of forced entry." She tells me.

          My eyes widen as I look at my front door then back to her, "That's impossible, everything was locked and I know I locked my front door."

          "Does anyone else have a key to your place, or do you keep a spare lying around?" She asks me.

          "My friend has a key, but he has the only other spare one," I tell her.

          "I see," She says as she writes that down. "Well Ms.Evans, I believe we have everything and will have this filed rather quickly should you want a copy."

          "Okay, thank you for your help," I tell her.

          She gives a small smile. "Just doing my job." She tells me.