Chapter Thirteen: Shouldn't of Done That

Just to hear his voice immediately makes me tear up again. "You have no idea how worried I've been about you," I softly tell him.

"You think a couple of bullets are going to what takes me down? I'm a lot tougher than I look," He tells me as he tries to sit up which causes him to wince in pain.

"Don't move!" I command before I sigh out. "You literally took two bullets, and you're already trying to sit up." I find his hospital remote and press the button to help him move. "You have to take it easy Alister, all jokes aside, I thought I lost you," I whisper.

He takes my hand in his again. "I know Cassandra, the nurses informed me on how you haven't left the waiting room since I was brought in." He sighs. "I didn't mean to scare you, but I also don't know what happened. One moment, I'm about to handcuff the guy before I felt this searing pain rush through my body. I'm then waking up here. What happened?" He asks me.

I bite my lip as I try to gather my thoughts. "It's my fault," I whisper out. "All of this is my fault from you getting hurt to Kara's mom," I feel the tears start up again. "He got away because I was too much of a coward to pull the trigger, and she got shot due to me being here," I say as I bow my head in shame.

"Cassandra!" He exclaims. "Do not blame any of this on you, understand. You did nothing wrong except try to get away from this psychopath," He says sternly. "So you froze up on the guy, I'm not blaming you or mad. You going through something like this in real life is a lot different than preparing through scenarios," He tells me.

"I still shouldn't have frozen because of you preparing me," I mumble. "I should have taken the shot and dealt with the consequences of receiving my bullet," I add.

"So you should have died, and we maybe get a little bit of info from that manic while the real killer walks free," He retorts.

"At least no one else will get hurt because of me," I fire back at him. "Do you know how much this hurts me knowing that everyone is in danger because of me? Knowing that he can strike any second or hurt someone dear to me just because he can?" My voice is starting to crack again. "He wants me and only me," I tell him.

He forces himself up and grabs my chin, so I'm facing him. His green eyes filling with rage as he says through clench teeth, "He is not going to get you, and this isn't your fault, get that through your thick head."

"How is it not? A girl died because she was dressed like me. A random redhead dying a town over wasn't a coincidence. You guys getting shot at a party that I was my fault," I say as I jerk away from him. "He wants me, and he has made it clear that no is going to stop him," I tell him.

He sighs as he leans back. "That girl dying wasn't on you. That redhead hasn't been connected to you. Mrs. Michealson getting shot was obvious a distract, and I was thankfully in the right spot at the right time," He tells me.

I look back at him. "What do you mean you were in the right spot at the right time?" I ask him confused.

"Think about it, there were only two sets of footprints leading to the woods. One belonged to him, and the other belonged to you. So where was the shooter at that could have seen you from the small clearing?"

"He had to already be in the woods, or somewhere with a clear view of us. But, from that part of the woods, the hills were too far away. The house wouldn't have been in sight of anything," I wonder aloud.

"Exactly shortcake, Mrs. Michealson being shot was a distraction, so the crowd goes crazy and flees the scene. No extra footprints insight and close advantage points for them, so they were either going to take you or lead you there," He explains.