Chapter Nine: Going Back Home

After the detectives shared that information with me, we began to make a plan to ensure I was safe. I told them how I was leaving the state which they surprisingly agreed to. After a few phone calls and one to my brother, everything seemed ready to go. I thanked them for their time, and I went back to my apartment to try to process everything. The killer is still out there, and I'm his next target. That thought repeating over and over in my head.

The day comes when the three of us part. Ash gives Kara and I ride to the airport, so she doesn't have to leave her car behind. We're at the entranceway giving one last hug to each other. "We'll see you in a week right?" I ask as I pull away from his tight embrace.

"Of course, one week and the three of us will be dancing the night away with that fancy champagne, right Kara?" He looks at her with a grin.

"Exactly, we'll drink and up a pant size from everything," She says as she hugs him. "Now you better get going, so you're not behind on your road trip."

"Okay, mom, you two better text when you land." He gives us both a stern look before breaking out into a smile.

"We will as long as you text us when you reach midway and your destination," I tell him.

"Sounds like the three of us have a deal then. Now one more hug," He says as he pulls into another one.

"You act like we're breaking up," She says with an eye roll as she hugs him again.

"Might as well be with how clingy I am," He jokes. "Oh, my babies have grown up and are leaving their father behind."

I pull away from him with a laugh before saying, "You're so weird sometimes Ash."

"I love you too." He winks at us before heading back to his car with a wave as we yell bye to him.

Kara takes my hand in her as she turns to look at me, "Are you ready for the best break of your life?" She asks me with a grin.

"I'm ready to have fun and relax with you," I say with a smile as we grab our luggage.

The airport is packed as we navigate our way through it to our terminal. We arrive right on time as they announce that our plane is boarding. She gets our tickets out of her purse and hands me mine. I look down at it and my eyes widen in shock. We have first-class tickets. I look at her while holding my ticket up.

"Sorry, mom has the jet, and I didn't want to deal with the hassle. Is first class okay?" She asks as she hands her ticket to the attendant.

"Do you hear yourself? Kara, I've never flown before and you got one of the best," I say with shock as I also hand my ticket to them.

"Sorry my inner brat is showing, but I also had to get the best for my girl." She grins at me as we going inside the plane. "Since this is your first time flying, you're in for a real treat." She sits down in our seats.

I sit down with her still in shock about everything. "Kara, you live in another world," I say in awe as I lean back in the seat. She gives a small laugh as we buckle up before the plane takes off. The takeoff is a bit bumpy, but once we're up in the air the view is amazing. To see everything get smaller as we go ascend to the clouds is incredible. I wish I could take pictures like this. I look from the window over to her. She's already gotten herself comfortable with a blanket and a magazine. I look down at my phone before putting my headphones in. I don't want to bother her and be a chatterbox the whole flight. So I plug in and gaze out the window while hoping that this will be a fun trip for both of us.