fourteen

Harry couldn't help but be sad. I mean, he was sad quite a bit but today he was extra down. It was December 22, school had only ended yesterday and now they had two weeks off. Two weeks that Harry was excited to spend curled up in his boyfriend's bed, or playing in the snow that had just fallen with Louis and his sisters, with whom he had come to absolutely adore.

But instead, here was his boyfriend, standing at his door saying he had to go to his dad's for Christmas and wouldn't be around for most of the break. Now Harry might just be a shit boyfriend, although he thought he was quite alright, but he hadn't even realized that Louis had any sort of connection to his father, given that before today, Louis had never mentioned him to Harry, only ever hearing about 'the girl's dad' -Mark- or 'mum's boyfriend' -Dan.

"Baby please don't be mad," Louis said. Harry hadn't even let Louis into the house. Louis had texted saying that he would be coming over and Harry had opened the door in the usual fashion, ready to wrap his arms tightly around the older boy, but when he had opened the door he could tell something was off. Louis had been looking at the ground, hands shoved nervously into his pockets when he broke the news to Harry.

"'m not mad Lou, just..." Harry trailed off, eyes darting around his boyfriend's oh so pretty face but failing to make eye contact.

"Just what?" Louis persisted, pulling his hand from his pocket and taking a step forward to rest it on Harry's arm.

"I didn't even know you spoke to your dad... and, and I'm sad." Harry looked down again, he really did feel like a shit boyfriend.

"Can we go inside?" Louis asked softly, "Let me explain everything, yeah?"

Harry just shrugged and moved aside to let Louis in. He was torn between being upset at the boy for leaving and being sad, missing him even though he was still there.

Louis stepped inside and began to take off his jacket, beanie and boots while Harry closed and locked the door. His mum had gone to pick his sister up from university and they wouldn't be back until later in the evening, so it was just Louis and Harry in the house.

When Louis was done stripping off his winter gear he turned to look at Harry, a look of worry evident in the scrunching of his eyebrows. "Should we go to your room?"

"Mum's not home so we can just stay down here," Harry said, walking past Louis into the living room, the older boy following closely behind. Harry sat down on the couch and Louis sat beside him, a few lonely inches of space between the two boys.

"So..." Harry said, leaning against the back of the couch.

"So my dad called my mum..." Louis said, nodding, "You were right, Haz, I don't talk about my dad because he usually doesn't want to see me, he left me mum before I was born. Y'know I talk about Mark, the girls' dad, and Dan, mum's boyfriend but not dad 'cause he doesn't want me so... so I don't want him."

Harry's chest hurt at his boyfriend's words. He understood, of course he did, his own dad had done the same thing.

"Lou, why didn't you tell me, you know about everything with my dad," Harry wondered aloud.

Louis looked at him with a pained expression as he shrugged that made Harry want to wrap his arms around the boy, but he stayed where he was.

"Apparently something's happened so I have to go spend the week with him. My mum didn't tell me much, just that I have to take the train to London tomorrow and I won't be back 'till after Christmas."

"But Lou, your birthday?"

"I've never spent my birthday away from my mum. Or christmas."

Harry nodded.