twenty two

note: this is jumping back a bit so you may want to reread the last chapter, it starts off when Louis dropped Harry off at the beginning of chapter twenty one. 

---

Louis took the long way back to his house after dropping Harry off. He really wasn't sure what to expect when it came to his mum. For his entire life she had been quite unpredictable. Many ups and many downs that had affected him and his sisters for as long as Louis could remember.

Often, when he thought that his mum would be sad about something, she would react in the opposite way, looking on the bright side. This was something he loved about his mother, the way that she was able to look at the bright side of things and change the way that Louis saw a situation. One thing, in particular, she did with this was with Louis' dad. Whenever Louis felt bad about him being gone, his mother would point out all the reasons he would be ruining their lives if he was still there. And how if he had never left then they wouldn't have the girls, and Louis really loved his sisters.

But often his mother reacted badly to things that Louis didn't deem all too important. Like the time he brought home one bad grade and she yelled at him for an hour straight. Louis was scared that she would react like that.

So he took the long way from Harry's house to his, extending his drive by 30 minutes. 15 minutes more that he didn't have to face his mother.

But eventually, he pulled into the driveway of his house. Honestly, he was lucky that his mum had found out on a Saturday rather than any other day of the week. Usually, his sisters were home and always caused a ruckus, however, every Saturday, his mum's boyfriend would take them to their respective activities. Swimming for Lottie, soccer for Fizzy, and dance for the twins. Occasionally, he would go to see each girl perform their respective skills but he didn't think that would be happening today.

Lous turned off his car and exited it, opening his front door to see his mum sitting on the couch in the living room, seemingly waiting for him.

"Sit down, Louis," She said, motioning for the couch across from her.

He toed off his shoes and dropped his keys onto the table before sitting down and looking up at his mum, waiting for her to speak.

"Why don't you explain to me what's going on?" His mum said.

"Harry's my boyfriend, mum, we're dating." Jay looked at him like he was crazy.

"So you're gay then?"

Louis shrugged, "I dunno. I just, I just really like Harry."

Louis and Jay maintained eye contact for a moment before Jay spoke.

"You don't know what you're saying, Louis. You're too young. You're not gay."

Louis couldn't speak.

"You can't see Harry anymore. I don't want him around if he makes you think you're gay."

He had no idea how he was even supposed to react to that. Sure, he hadn't expected his mum to act in complete acceptance of him or anything but this was something else. To have his mother say that he couldn't see the only person in his entire life that he maybe kind of loved was... It was absolutely horrible and Louis couldn't say anything as he felt his chest tighten.

"Mummy," He choked out after a minute, "Mummy I love him."

"No you don't, Louis, you don't know what you're saying. You're seventeen, you don't even know what love is."

"I love him," Louis said, standing up from the couch, "And you can't make me stop loving him."

"You don't know love!" Jay replied, standing up from the couch.