Chapter 19- Calling it Truce

"Are you out of your mind Chris? We have already given them a signal to attack. We can't call it truce." My father said and shook his head.

"Father-"

"Enough of this nonsense Christopher!" He roared.

"Read these letters." I said and gave him the bunch of notes written by Eugene.

His eyes widened and he let out a string of curse words.

"His daughter's life is in danger." My father whispered.

"Exactly what I'm saying." I muttered.

***

We waved a white flag before they could do anything.

"This is a matter of urgent importance." My father said. "I want to speak to Stenkil."

Stenkil scoffed. "Just because the number of soldiers in your army has decreased doesn't mean I'm going to be easy with y'all. This is a war. If you chicken out, then I'll have to attack even after the white flag is shown."

"It's about Anna." I yelled.

"You realized you were crazy enough to let her go? I think you are crazier enough to call in a war. Stop being ladies and fight like a man." He said and his army of loyal gentlemen laughed behind him.

I let out a sigh of exasperation.

Yesterday's wounds were raw enough. Both, emotionally and physically.

Dreaming again about Eugene killing Diana was a scare enough.

"Stenkil, your daughter has been receiving threatening notes from the leader of the mafia gang." My father pronounced.

"Let's take this matter in our settlements." Stenkil said.

***

It was almost unbelievable how someone as cold-hearted as Stenkil could show so much love and warmth.

That man was brutal, inhumane. He could kill hundred innocent people and then not even blink an eye.

But this reaction was something which every sane father would have.

His fingers were trembling and he was beyond horrified.

He kept on reading and re-reading the notes while whispering, "Why didn't she tell me?"

He asked us to go back and said that he will call us the next day, in an official meeting.

As I was nearing my settlement, I saw someone who wouldn't go away from my dreams.

Her beautiful brown hair was tied up.

She had worn a dress. It was yellow in colour, which suited her.

"Diana." I whispered.

She beamed at me, showing her perfect set of white teeth.

I ran- limping even because of yesterday's wounds. I picked her up in my arms and she giggled.

God, how I loved this sound. The way she giggled. I was going to set this as my alarm tone.

"Let's go inside." I told her.

She nodded.

"What are you doing here?" I asked her, once we were seated inside.

She sipped on the mango cooler I had made her.

"Chris." She said and held my hand. "I'm always there. Just close your eyes and feel the wind. That wind will always be me." She said and smiled.