Cortazar

I know it's insane to have to keep up with so many books. It's just an idea comes into my head, and I need to let it out. I'll do my best to update all the books I have, i love them all. I'm not giving up on them. So bare with me please. I hope you like this book. It's a little different from the others, so I hope you give it a chance. Events and things mentioned, is pretty true. This isn't a made up place because I've lived there before, and I've visited. Half my family lives there and it's pretty much their everyday lives.

"¡Oye, vamos!" (Hey Lets Go)

"Voy ma" (I'm coming ma)

I kick the ball back to the kids and follow my mom through the market. I grab the roller from my mom. We walk through the streets of Cortazar. The streets are always crowded no matter what day it is. Cars crossing, Motorcycles, traffic. Jaywalking is a must if you want to get where you have too, and drivers here don't care if they hit you just a little. No one cares about you if your on your own, there's a systematic way they run here "see something, don't say something"

Stores, and houses directly next to each other, attached to the wall. Living here, that's normal. For me? I hate it. I've never seen a good patch of grass big enough to play in.

We hurry through the streets to get home. When we turn to the corner, we see a body on the ground. An older man with a stab wound.

"No mires hacia abajo, sigue caminando" (Don't look down, just keep walking)

My mom and I walk a couple blocks down until we meet our house. She unlock the metal door, and we walk in into our little living room. Which has a slide door to outside. We slide the living room door open, and walk outside to our home, we have 2 rooms, and a bathroom. Our kitchen is on the otherside of the court we have. It's not much but it's home. The only thing that sucks, is that when it's winter and you need to get up from bed to use the restroom in the middle of the night. You have to go outside to the small room of the bathroom. Sucks more even when it's raining. Not all houses are like this but most don't have the everything in one building, sometimes you have to walk outside to go to the kitchen.

"Despierta a tu hermano para que puedan comenzar a vestirse" (Wake your brother up, so you guys can start getting dressed)

I walk outside the kitchen, and walk to my room. I slide the metal door, and see my brother in his bed. My room isn't much. It's painted red and green, why? I don't know.  I don't have a TV, we have one window and 2 beds and our clothes are usually in a basket. That's all we have.

"Charrito Despierta, tenemos que empezar a cambiar. Son casi las 3" (Charrito wake up, we have to start changing. It's almost 3"

Where are we going you may ask? School. Here in Mexico, you either go to school in the morning or in the afternoon. There's so many kids, that they split the day for others. My dad walks us to school, and after that. Around 10 at night, it's just my little brother and I. When we started going to school late, our parents told us to keep to ourselves. Don't even talk, just walk straight home. Bad people come out at night.

I don't like school, but I work hard. It's not like I'll really go anywhere, a high school diploma won't do much for college or university. Unless you have a talent or your creative, and you've got some type of money.. you'll get in. You have nothing to offer, your chances are low.

"No quiero ir" (I don't wanna go) My little brother tells me whining. I scoff, and throw his uniform on the bed for him to change in. We can complain and say we don't want to go to school, but at the end of the day. We're walking home from school, fearing for our lives. You either work or go to school here. I love learning and working, but I don't like it here. I wasn't even born here, I was born in Texas. We struggled a lot, and moved back to Mexico. I was only 1, I didn't really have an attachment to the United States. I sometimes lay in bed, and wonder what their lives must be. Do they go to school at night too? Do they have cartels over there too? What do they eat? Is Soccer their sport like it is here?

My mom told me that if we lived in America, we would be privileged. That it's a better life there then here, there's more opportunities. She told me "Es el campo de los sueños" (It's the feild of dreams)