Chapter 23 : What happened

Max and Jane sat on the couch, a bit farther of each other than usual, and waited for the session to begin.

- "When was the last time you slept, Jane?" asked the psychologist.

- "(sighs) I dunno."

She didn't ask more, but she had an idea. She resumed their last session, stressing all of them more than they were.

- "What happened, on that opened road?" asked the psychologist.

No one answered. Lucas looked at Jane to know if she would finally explain something, but she kept moving her head like if she wanted them to ignore her. Bev looked at Lucas before looking away. They were so tired about this, and telling this story was making things worse, they were feeling that pain again.

- "Come on guys, you already made the worst part," tried to encourage Gabrielle.

- "No, we didn't," sniffed Bev.

- "What was on this road? Were there rebels waiting for you?" continued the psychologist.

- "I fucked up..."

The truck stopped between trees, facing the dirt road in front of them, burnt by the sun. There was a small dark shape on it, standing.

- "What are you waiting for!? Just keep driving!" told Lucas.

- "It's a child, she certainly needs help," said Bev.

- "We should go back, it's a fucking trap!" intervened Jane.

- "We can't go back! We saw old mines on there, we could explode and die!" stated the black boy.

- "Then drive, and fast!"

- "What about the child!? We can't let her here!"

- "She is part of the fucking trap! I won't die for a fucking child!"

- "Children don't hurt!"

- "I've been hurt my entire life by children, you really wanna debate about this right now!?"

- "Just because you had a shitty life doesn't mean every child is bad!"

- "Crush her!" insisted Jane.

- "No!" intervened Bev.

The redhead opened the door and got out of the truck, going in direction of the young girl.

- "Shit! She is gonna get all of us killed!" stated Jane.

She took her guns and got out of the truck too.

- "Bev! Come back!"

- "Hey little girl! It's fine, we're here to help, we can help you!"

- "Shit! Lucas! You move your ass when you want!"

- "She is not in danger if she doesn't go farther the trees!" replied Lucas.

- "You wanna take the risk!? Fine! If you wanna watch your friend die that's your problem, but there is no way for me to just wait!"

Jane jumped on the back of the truck and grabbed a bigger gear before running to Beverly. Lucas began to feel guilty and decided to follow them. Beverly was on the road, calling the little girl who wasn't moving.

- "She is part of the trap!" yelled Jane, running to her.

- "She is scared!"

- "This is not our problem!"