Chapter 30 : Restaurant

Three months passed. It was the end of Spring, and Jane was allowed to work again. To celebrate this, Moussa decided to take her to the restaurant with Abigail and Beverly. They didn't choose by accident, they went to the restaurant where Max was working without telling her. Everything was fine, until Abigail recognized their waitress. The two girls looked deeply at each other before breaking it. Lisa looked with insistence at Jane, feeling anger growing inside. She took their orders and left them without saying a word.

- "She doesn't like me," stated Jane.

- "Maybe she is in a bad day," pouted Moussa.

- "But it's her job to smile and be polite!" said Bev.

Abigail didn't take part of the conversation, feeling a bit uncomfortable. She didn't know if she should tell them or not for Lisa. She didn't want to ruin the night, it was a big day for them! Jane was going to work again the next day, and Bev and Jane were able to stay together in the same room without having a panic attack, and in public!

- "You're stressing for tomorrow?" asked Abigail, wanting to change the subject.

- "Uh, yeah, it's been a long time and, I don't know, maybe it's too early," answered Jane.

- "Don't be stupid, you're more than ready, we all know that! And the Lieutenant won't ask you too much for your first day, it'll be cool," reassured Moussa.

- "Yeah, I hope you're right..."

- "I'm always right."

The table lightly chuckled. Lisa came back with their orders and the coldest attitude ever, especially with Jane. She almost spilled the plate on the brunette! But Jane didn't say anything, not really caring.

- "I think there is something written on my forehead like "hate me, I love it"," stated Jane.

- "Or she thinks you're dating Abigail, and she doesn't like lesbians," told Bev.

- "God, if she knew!"

- "Hey! What does that mean?" intervened Abigail with a false upset tone.

- "You're the straightest girl I know."

- "Yeah? You could be surprised!"

- "Wait, you had...with girls?" frowned Moussa.

- "They pay more."

- "Really!?" said Bev.

- "I'm not an easy girl."

Moussa choked in his drink while the two girls began to laugh, not expecting this answer. Abigail didn't care if they were mocking her or not, she was so happy to see them like that, finally enjoying some time together.

- "So? You prefer with boys or girls?" asked Bev.

- "Well, majority of the girls I had were all shy and all, wondering if they were gay or not so...in fact, some were not bad, but I still prefer boys, sorry ladies," explained Abigail.

- "Too bad!"

The ambience was warm around the table. They spent the meal talking to each other with no tension, even if Jane and Beverly still had the reflex to look around sometimes, but not as much as before.

Moussa paid for all of them, as he promised. The four friends waited a moment outside, watching all the other customers leaving the building. There was only the staff inside, the waitresses were cleaning the dining room while the cooks were certainly cleaning the kitchen. Lisa was one of the last to leave the place. On her way to her car, she hit Jane's shoulder on purpose.

- "What the fuck is your damn problem!?" replied Jane with an upset tone.

- "Oh, I'm sorry, did I hurt you?" answered Lisa with a fake sorry tone.

- "Wh—I wanna know why I'm your scapegoat tonight! I don't even know you!"

- "Of course, she didn't tell you about me, it would have surprised me! But, me, I know who you are! You're a fucking mess, and all of this today, it's not gonna last, you're gonna become crazy again because that's what you are!"

- "...You're the girl Max kissed?"

- "But she can use her fucking brain! Let me tell you something, when you were completely out, she was crying every fucking day because of you, she even preferred going to work with those assholes who were mocking her than staying with you because you were awful with her, you treated her like shit, you don't fucking deserve her, you're just a piece of garbage, no one should lose their time with this! And we both know you're still like that."

Jane clenched her jaw and closed her fists. She wanted to shut her damn mouth, but a part of her was thinking she was right. She tried to maintain the look Lisa was giving her, but she couldn't, she just looked down.

- "That's what I thought. You're fucking weak," told Lisa.

- "Get out of here! Now!" intervened Moussa.

- "I'm leaving. But it's not over. She'll come back to me."

Lisa spat on Jane's shoes before walking away. Abigail was going to show her her fist a bit closer, but Jane stopped her with her arm.

- "You're gonna let her leave like that!?" said Bev.

- "I've nothing to tell her," answered Jane.

- "You're not scared that she could try something with Max!?"

- "She certainly will."

- "And!? You're not gonna do anything!?"

- "I trust Max."

The girl turned to them with a small smile. The three others gave friendly taps behind her head before rubbing her hair.

- "You're unbearable, I hate you all," chuckled Jane, getting out of this mess.

Max appeared right after this. She frowned at them at first, not sure if it was them, but she was so happy to see Beverly and Jane going out and together that her smile grew instantly.

- "Why are you all here!? It's amazing!" told Max.

- "We wanted to congratulate Jane and Bev for all the progress they made," told Moussa.

- "That's amazing! Did you eat here?"

- "Nah, we bought sandwiches and stayed here," mocked Abigail.

- "If I said something stupid, don't hesitate to tell me!"

- "When you need!"

Max playfully pushed her. Jane wrapped her arm around her shoulders, making blush the redhead.

- "How was it?" asked Max.

- "It was really good, except the waitress," said Moussa.

- "Oh no! It was Lisa!?"

- "Yeah, bad luck!"

- "I'm so sorry Jane! I never wanted th—"

- "It's fine, it's fine, don't worry, we had a conversation," answered Jane.

- "..."

- "Don't worry, really, let's not talk about it."

Max wrapped her arm around Jane's waist and tightened as much as possible before kissing her cheek. While they were walking away, Jane turned her head and saw Lisa sit in her car, looking at them with dark eyes. Jane raised her arm and showed her her middle finger with a particular pleasure. Even if Jane thought that Lisa was right on some points, she wouldn't let her a new chance with Max. Never.